Golf freshmen poised to make big impact

Harvey Garcia Staff Writer

Departures and new arrivals are always the case heading into a new season for any college team. This is especially apparent for the Iona College men’s golf team. After a handful of influential seniors graduated, freshmen Brian Fitzpatrick and Stefan Cygan will influence the success of this seasons’ team, along with the future of the program.

When it comes to building a team for the future, skill is an important quality. However, the players’ personalities feature just as prominently in the team success. Head coach Chris Merce seems to have found something special with the arrival of Fitzpatrick and Cygan.

“I’ve known Brian since he was 14 or 15 years old,” Merce said. “I played with his brother for a year in St. Peter’s when I was a senior and his brother was a freshman. I coached his brother for three years after that. His family was very supportive of our program in St. Peter’s. They would come to a lot of his brother’s tournaments. So I knew Brian for a very long time.”

With a pair of freshmen you are building your future around, chemistry is an important aspect. Fitzpatrick and Cygan have already established a strong bond. Not only are they from the same town, but they are also roommates at Iona.

“They are both great kids and great students,” Merce said. “Stefan is a little more kind of mild manner-ed, doesn’t say a whole lot, only when he needs to.”

“Brian is more of the outgoing kind of guy,” he said. “He’ll be the guy who won’t be shy to hop onto the front seat of the van and playing around with the radio. They are both really good kids and get along with the team well.”

Cygan did not play in many high level junior tournaments, but does not show any lack of experience.

“When I first saw his swing, I’m like ‘Wow the sky is the limit for this kid!’” Merce said. “Short term for him, he is a type of player who goes up and down in his round. He would score two consecutive birdies and follow up with a triple [bogey] in the next.”

According to Merce, a short term adjustment for Cygan comes down to his putting. He hits a lot of good shots but he has the tendency to lose the speed of the green. He would have 20 foot putt that looks like a simple two foot putt but blow it 6 feet behind and walk off with a bogey when it should have been a par. So he worked on his pre-shot routine and came up with different ideas on how to approach the green.

“Last week we had a practice and he scored 15 pars, he came up to me and said ‘Coach I can’t remember the last time I had 10 pars,’” Merce said. “Long term, I would like to see him develop different shots, ball flight and hitting it in different trajectories, being able to hit it high or low, adjust to the situation.”

As for Fitzpatrick, not only did he enjoy playing golf but he also played basketball. He participated in Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) tournaments in the summers. It was not until two summers ago that he started focusing more on golf and playing in competitive tournaments.

Since Fitzpatrick’s arrival, he has shown promise. In his first two rounds of collegiate golf (in The CCSU Blue Devils 2013 Fall Invitational) he carted an 83 and a 78. His 78 is the best of his young career thus far.

“A good round would definitely boost up his confidence,” Merce said. “We worked on his swing. In practice, he is the best practice putter on team because he makes everything he looks. Once he gets the confidence and takes that into the tournaments I think the sky is the limit for him.”

Fitzpatrick and Cygan have great work ethics. Even on their off days they are always finding ways to improve. Even on an off weekend, they are still practicing to improve their craft. According to Merce, they have the mindset for what it takes to be Division I golfers.

“They are always eager to get to practice and get better,” Merce said.

The dedication that Fitzpatrick and Cygan have shown illustrate why the future for Iona golf is bright.