Pep rally kicks off season

MAAC Preseason Player of the Year Damika Martinez leads the Gaels into the 2014 season.

Ian Sacks Assistant Sports Editor

Basketball season is officially underway at Iona College. On Oct. 18, the Iona College community kicked off the basketball season and Homecoming weekend with its annual Maroon Madness.

In front of a packed students’ section, the members of both the men’s and women’s basketball teams were introduced. Each player received a warm welcome from Gael Nation.

“The atmosphere was great; everyone was excited when we came out,” senior guard Jackie Marshall said. “The cheerleaders, the dance team, everybody did a great job.”

The evening commenced with the Iona Singers singing the Iona Alma Mater. After the completion of the Alma Mater, the Pipe Band took to the court accompanied by the cheerleaders and dance team.

Master of ceremonies Brian Beyrer, the Associate Athletics Director for Athletic Communications, introduced new chants for the fans to say during the games to intimidate the Gaels’ opponents. Some of the chants include calling the roll at the beginning of each game and making the ‘swoosh’ sound every time an Iona free throw is made.

Another chant Beyrer introduced is ‘I believe that we will win.’ This chant is inspired by the Maroon & Gold’s exceptional record at home in the Hynes Athletics Center. Over the past three seasons, the men’s basketball team has compiled a record of 34-5, going 11-1 each of the past two seasons. As for the women’s team, the Gaels have posted home records of 9-3 and 9-4 the last two years.

“We’re looking to create a culture at games this season for both men’s and women’s basketball to make the Hynes Center the toughest building in the New York Metropolitan area to play and a place where teams don’t want to come to play us,” Beyrer said.

Seniors Sean Armand, Haley D’Angelo and Sabrina Jeridore addressed the crowd, thanking them for all the support and reminding them to come out this season. Junior guard Damika Martinez and freshman guard/forward Grant Ellis each teamed up with one student to compete in a shooting competition. The student recipients won gift cards.

The winner of the ICGaels Twitter-following iPad contest was sophomore Samantha Leggio.

“My heart dropped. That pause from my first name to the last felt like forever; when I heard my last name I screamed and ran over to receive it,” said Leggio about the moment her name was called. “It was a very exciting moment. Overall that night was amazing and the energy was crazy.”

The cheerleaders and dance team performed, giving the crowd a preview of the timeout entertainment at the games.

The following morning, the men’s and women’s basketball teams held open practices. At the men’s practice, the team broke into two squads and scrimmaged. The women played a game against their practice players.

Both basketball teams are coming off of very successful seasons. The men’s team capped off its fourth straight 20-win season with a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Championship. The Gaels made the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Tournament for the second time in as many years and finished with a 20-11 record. Iona begins its season at Cleveland State on Nov. 9. The team’s home-opener is on Nov. 16 against Wofford.

“With the new gym and everything, I’m really excited to play this year,” junior guard Tavon Sledge said.

The women’s team made the Women’s National Invitation Tournament (WNIT) for the fourth time in the last seven years. Iona finished second in the MAAC and posted an overall record of 20-13. The Gaels open their season with the Iona Tip-Off Tournament on Nov. 8 and 9. The other participants in the event are Arizona, Michigan and Bowling Green.

If Maroon Madness is any indication, then it should be a good year for Iona basketball.