Swimming tops MAAC rival Manhattan

The Iona College men and women’s swimming and diving teams opened up Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) play against the Manhattan Jaspers on the road on Nov. 2.

In the women’s competition, the Gaels cruised to 173-89 victory; they won every event except one.

Iona took two of the top three spots in the 200 meter medley relay. The team of seniors Maria Skeivys, Kerri-Anne Dodenhoff, sophomore Melissa Dorsch and freshman Kathryn Nevin took first with a time of 1:52.35. Senior Sophia Hyokyvaara, sophomores Daniela Beasley and Leigh Musselman and freshman Maria Lopez finished six seconds behind their teammates and claimed third.

Senior Brigitte Doughty won the 1000 meter freestyle in 11:08.16. Beasley took first in the 200 meter butterfly with a time of 2:18.41; Doughty came two-tenths of a second behind Beasley.

Skeivys won the 100 meter backstroke with a time of 1:01.47, while Dodenhoff took the 100 meter breaststroke in 1:09.88.

The Maroon & Gold claimed the top two spots in the 200 meter freestyle event. With a time of 2:01.72, sophomore Mary Ellen Mangione came in first and freshman Natalie Bowman placed second, a half of second behind Mangione.

Skievys won the 200 meter backstroke with a time of 2:14.79. In the 100 meter freestyle, Dorsch and Dodenhoff claimed second and third respectively.

On the men’s side, Iona claimed a 137-125 victory.

Freshmen Collin Purrman and Bryan Veals took the top two spots in the 1000 meter freestyle; Purrman took first with a time of 10:16.18.

Senior Justin Grigull captured a win in the 200 meter freestyle with a time of 1:47.54.

Seniors Tyler Elfert and Nick Kotonias and freshmen Keegan Boisson-Yates and Matthew Rothman took second with a time of 1:39.88 in the 200 meter medley relay.

Grigull and Rothman took the top two spots in the 100 meter freestyle. Grigull won the event with a time of 48.99.

In the 500 meter freestyle, Purrman came on top with a time of 4:58:54. Veals finished in second place.

Elfert, Rothman, Grigull and sophomore Tommy Keefe completed the 200 meter freestyle relay in 1:29.03 and claimed victory. Coming in second, only 1.3 seconds behind their teammates was the group of Veals, Purrman, senior Ryan Bacci and freshman Liam Oberlander.

In the 100 meter breaststroke, Kotonias claimed third with a time of 1:03:61. Boisson-Yates completed the 100 meter backstroke in 53.65 and came in second place.

Both Gael squads were scheduled to host Seton Hall on Nov. 13. The results of the event were not available at press time. They do not compete again until after Thanksgiving, when they travel to Baltimore, Md. on Dec. 6 and 7 for the Loyola Invitational.