Indoor track and field posts nine top-ten finishes

Senior Matthew Gillespie finished 10th in the mile event at Boston University.

John Clark Staff Writer

The Iona College men and women’s indoor track and field team competed at a 10 team invitational tournament at New York University on Jan. 24 and at the John Thomas Terrier Invitational in Boston on Jan. 24 and 25.

At NYU, senior Nick Lachman and sophomore Xavier King were the team’s top performers. In the mile run, King finished in 4:16.35 six seconds behind first place. Lachman finished fourth, only a second and a half after his teammate.

The men’s team recorded three top 10 finishes in the tournament. Senior Quinn Raseman finished tenth in the 3,000-meter run with a final time of 8:45.29.

For the women at NYU, there was only one top ten finisher. Junior Marlene Delices placed seventh in the 800-meter event with a final time of 2:23.12. Freshman Zoe Wojtech placed 11th in the mile, crossing the line with a final time of 5:24.99.

On Friday, four women from the team competed in Boston. Freshman Maya Rehberg who finished eighth overall in the unseeded 3K. Rehberg’s time of 9:28.89 set an Iona College record for freshmen, and was third best in school history. Junior Regina Neumeyer finished tenth in the same race with a time of 9:29.18. Her time landed her fifth in school’s record books.

On Saturday the men’s team competed at the Terrier Invitational at Boston University in two different events (the mile run and the 3,000-meter run). Five different Gaels ran the mile event to start the day. Senior Matthew Gillespie ran a 4:01.89, which was good for tenth overall. Graduate student Daniel Clorley finished four spots behind Gillespie with a final time of 4:03.96.

Junior Jake Byrne set a personal record with a time of 4:05.87. Junior Otis Ubriaco finished with a time of 4:07.54 which was good enough for 21st place.

The second event the men competed in was the 3,000-meter run. Gillespie competed and excelled again, running a 7:52.24, which was good enough for second overall, only .15 seconds behind the first place finisher. Gillespie’s time was good enough for second fastest time in the NCAA this season and the fourth fastest time in Iona history.

Sophomore Kieran Clements finished in 8:02.20 and took sixth place; his time was good enough for the seventh fastest time in the NCAA this season. Junior Michael O’Dowd finished in 57th place with a final time of 8:41.88.

The Gaels’ next meet is at the Metropolitan Championships at the 168th Street Armory in New York City on Jan. 31.