Snow day blues unlikely to end

Alexandra Vinci Managing Editor

This semester, Iona has racked up three snow days, two night class cancellations, two delayed openings, one early closing and five Gael Express suspensions.

The winter has been relentless, as the snow piles have grown higher and higher.

“I like snow but we’ve had too much of it,” said senior Elissa Levi.

The number of classes that have been canceled has put a strain on the semester’s progress.

“It throws everybody off because there’s a disconnect from class to class,” said Political Science and International Studies Department Chair Tricia Mulligan. “For Monday and Wednesday classes it’s going to be very difficult.”

When Hurricane Sandy took out a week of classes during the fall 2012 semester, the school set up a series of Saturday blocks to make up for the lost class time.

As of right now, professors are being encouraged to compensate for missed classes with electronic options such as Blackboard.

“Faculty and students are going to be pressed to get things done,” said Mulligan.

The snow has affected the Iona community outside of the classroom as well.

“It’s hard to park on the street,” said Levi.

New Rochelle has suspended alternate side parking until March 31 to assist in street sweeping operations.

But even with both sides opened up, students that live off campus or have cars have been pressed to find parking in any of the neighborhoods.

A concern was brought up at Thursday’s SGA meeting about the parking garage becoming crowded.

Assistant Vice Provost of Student Development Elizabeth Olivieri-Lenahan informed the students that Iona had opened up its parking garage to the New Rochelle community for the weekend of Feb. 15 as a way to help with the lack of options in the area.

However, when the school realized how full the garage became, they returned it to “residents-only” for long-term parking.

Not only has parking been difficult to find, but also students have often had difficulty getting out of the spots they do find.

Senior Nicole Chevrette was parked on Summit Avenue a couple weeks ago and when she returned to her car she found that it was stuck on a patch of ice.

After making some texts and calls, and after numerous attempts to push her car and shovel it out, she and four friends were able to free the vehicle.

“[The snow] is just becoming really inconvenient and a hassle,” said Chevrette. “I’m just ready for spring.”

The snow has not only been treacherous on the roads but also for pedestrians.

Many parts of the sidewalks in the area are still snow-covered and have turned to slush making it a slippery walk around New Rochelle.

“I’ve almost slipped and fell numerous times,” said Levi.

One of the messages that Iona has sent out to the students on Feb. 16 via the text messaging system warned students to “be aware of icy conditions on campus and use extreme care when walking or driving.”

On Monday, New Rochelle suspended parking on the north side of Hubert and President Streets to “facilitate snow removal,” according to an email sent out by Vice Provost for Student Life Charles Carlson on Feb. 21.

Bulldozers and trucks were also on campus on Friday removing snow from the alongside the field.

But even with this snow on its way out, the forecast has hinted that there could be more inclement weather during the coming weeks.