Indoor track features top finishers in Boston races

John Clark Staff Writer

On March 2, the Iona College track and field teams traveled to Boston University for the BU Last Chance Meet. Eight members from the men’s and women’s teams competed in various different events.

The men were led by graduate student Daniel Clorley, who ran the 3,000-meter event and finished first overall with a time that topped the second place finisher by more than 13 seconds (7:59.61). His time qualified him for the IC4A Championship. Junior Quinn Raseman (8:28.72) and freshman Daniel Galford (8:30.66) finished sixth and seventh. Senior Jimmy Tarsnane (8:42.08) and freshman Andy Adamovics (8:42.50) came in ninth and 10th in the 3k as well for the Gaels. In the men’s 800-meter event, senior Reed Kochanek finished 19th overall with a final time of 1:55.10.

On the women’s side, junior Marlene Delices (2:14.32) led the Maroon & Gold with a 12th overall finish in the women’s 800-meter event.

“I plan to train hard the next few weeks,” said Delices, about her 12th place finish in the 800-meter event. “I am getting back into doing longer workouts, a little bit of higher mileage in order to ready for the outdoor season.”

In the women’s 400-meter event, junior Erica Fellin finished 15th overall with a time of 1:01.78 in a field of 19 runners.

On March 8, senior Matthew Gillespie, junior Michael O’Dowd, senior Kirsten Stewart, and Delices represented the Iona Gaels in the ECAC/IC4A Championships in Boston, MA.

“Honestly, it feels great to have qualified and competed at the ECACs,” Delices said. “It showed me where I need to be in order to get out there and compete with them.”

Gillespie ran the 800-meter event, finishing eighth overall with a final time of 1:52.27, which was good enough to advance to the next stage. O’Dowd finished 10th overall in the 5,000-meter event with a final time of 14:34.10, while Stewart finished eighth overall for the women in the mile event. She ran a 4:53.55, finishing with the fourth fastest time in her heat. Delices represented the women in the 800-meter preliminary events, finishing 23rd with a time of 2:17.59.

The next events for the men and women’s indoor track teams are the NCAA Championships in Albuquerque, N.M. on March 14 and March 15. Gillespie will represent the men in the NCAA Division I Indoor Track Championships in the mile run and the 3,000-meter event. Sophomore Kate Avery will represent the women in the 3,000-meter event at the NCAA Division I Indoor Track Championships.