Lacrosse notches first MAAC win

John Clark Staff Writer

After a sluggish start to Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) play, the Iona College women’s lacrosse team picked up its first conference win on April 12 at Niagara.

The Gaels (2-11 overall, 1-5 MAAC) prevailed 13-11 over the Purple Eagles. Five different Gaels recorded multiple point games. Junior Meghan Testoni led all scorers with six points (four goals, two assists). After Niagara took a 3-2 lead early in the first half, Iona scored five straight to end the half and take a four-point lead. After Niagara tied it at seven, the Gaels took the lead with four straight goals and never gave it up. Senior goalkeeper Maria Ortiz got the win, recording nine saves in 60 minutes of action.

Four days later the Maroon & Gold traveled to New Jersey to face Monmouth University, where they lost by a final tally of 11-6. Junior Bernadette Gennaro was the leading scorer for the team, netting three goals. Only one other player posted a multiple point game, as sophomore Mary Kate McCormick finished with two assists. Testoni, senior Nina Veneziale and junior Casey Palmer each netted one goal. Ortiz stopped eight shots for the Gaels in net.

Following this defeat, Iona visited non-conference foe Lafayette College, where they fell 19-13. McCormick played her best game of the season, scoring six goals and tallying two assists for a season-best eight points. Palmer had two goals, Testoni had two assists and freshman Erin Pugh had three points (two goals, one assist). Ortiz and junior Blaire Nathanson each played one half in net and combined for a total of 10 saves.

Prior to the Gaels’ first conference win on April 12, they took a trip to Hamden, Conn. to face Quinnipiac University. They fell 15-9. Veneziale was the leading scorer, netting three goals. Multiple point games were also recorded by freshman Katelyn Noschese (one goal, one assist) and McCormick (two goals). Ortiz, Nathanson and sophomore Thea Leitman, all combined for 17 saves.

Prior to this loss, the Gaels fell to Marist College 17-6 on April 5. Pugh and Testoni were the leading scorers for the Maroon & Gold, tallying two goals each. Leitman got the start in the net and stopped six shots in 40 minutes, and Ortiz played the final 20, recording four saves.

Three days earlier, Iona hosted Fairfield University. The Gaels lost in a blowout, 16-4, getting goals from four different players. McCormick, Testoni, Pugh and senior Nicole Brancaccio scored the four Gael goals. McCormick added two assists to lead the scoring for the Gaels. Ortiz recorded six saves in 30 minutes of play, while Leitman stopped four shots in 21 minutes of action.

The Gaels, who sit in eighth place in the conference, were scheduled to host the last-place Manhattan Jaspers on April 23. The results were not available at press time. They will close out the regular season with the Siena Saints at home on April 26. The game is set for 1 p.m. at Mazzella Field.