Safety supervisor assaulted

Ian Sacks Assistant Sports Editor

An intoxicated driver interrupted a quiet night at Iona when he crashed into the campus’ main entrance and assaulted an on-duty Campus Safety Supervisor on Feb. 22.

Brian L. Gerald drove a white 2011 Honda Accord into the stanchion at the North Avenue entrance around 11:50 p.m., the Ionian learned from the supervisor on April 27.

The supervisor requested anonymity in order to maintain privacy. He provided an account of the evening’s events.

The driver proceeded through the campus and parked in the lot in between Spellman Hall and the Hynes Athletics Center.

Two security guards approached Gerald, who became confrontational with one guard and pushed him to the ground.

The Campus Safety Supervisor came from campus security’s 24-hour annex in Spellman. As he approached and saw the scene escalating violently, he quickened his pace and called the New Rochelle Police Department.

After positioning himself between the guard on the ground and Gerald, the supervisor became the aggressor’s target.

“The suspect then diverted his attention from the retreating officer, suddenly lunged at me, punched me on the left side of my neck/shoulder region, which knocked me to the ground, and proceeded to stomp on my lower back multiple times, which rendered me somewhat immobile,” said the Campus Safety Supervisor. “I managed, however, to muster up enough adrenaline to wriggle myself out of the situation and move to safer ground.

The suspect then returned to his vehicle, recovered a black object, and while launching a profanity laced tirade against me, he came after me again.”

Upon retreating toward Amend Hall, the supervisor noticed a few students walking toward the scene and advised them to turn around because trouble was brewing.

The police, who arrived within a few minutes, needed multiple officers to handcuff Gerald. They then took him to the police station and charged him with driving while intoxicated (DWI).

Assault charges are being processed and will not be finalized until after Gerald appears in court. Gerald was scheduled to appear in court on May 5; the result of the case was not available at press time.

The police reported that if Gerald was found guilty, he would be charged with assault in the third degree, which is a class A misdemeanor with a maximum prison sentence of one year.

“The security officers placed themselves in harm’s way to protect members of the community, as they are prepared to do on a daily basis,” said Charles Carlson, the Vice Provost for Student Life. “I feel all policies and procedures were followed, and it was a most unfortunate incident.”

The supervisor, who has worked at Iona for over 16 years, sustained several injuries. His back and neck as well as both elbows, shoulders and knees were hurt in the incident. He was taken to Montefiore New Rochelle Hospital the night of the incident and was released around 4 a.m.

MRIs have indicated that the injuries incurred include herniated disks in his lower back, pinched nerves on both sides, tears in both shoulders and injuries to his neck and elbows.

To relieve the pain, he has had several epidural injections. Furthermore, he is using anti-inflammatory medication, therapeutic joint cream, physical therapy and rest.

Due to the severity of the injuries, he has not returned to work since the incident.

He has used his accrued sick leave and vacation time to continue receiving his full salary.

This time-off ran out on May 2; since then he has been receiving only a portion of his regular salary. The injuries have also forced him to take medical leave from his second job.

“I would be glad to return to work tomorrow if possible, but according to Iona policy, I cannot return until I get clearance from my doctor that I am 100 percent fit to resume my normal duties,” he said. “The recovery process is slow, and my doctor is not ready to give me such clearance.”

Gerald, 33, of New Rochelle, is a registered New York State sex offender and has been convicted of drug charges, according to the police.

This incident highlights the crucial role that security plays in protecting the Iona campus.

“We are the first contact with the public and the first line of defense on our ‘open’ campus,” the Campus Safety Supervisor said. “The nature of our job is such that there is an inherent risk, and we must bolster our resources and preparedness.”