Students present research at Eastern Washington University

From left, Senior Michelle Muzzio, sophomore Jacqueline Denver, junior Melissa Morales and senior Omoakhe Tisor pose in front of their work.

After working hard on research all year, 19 undergraduate students presented their works at the National Conference on Undergraduate Research in Washington.

The three-day conference April 16 to 18 at the Eastern Washington University in Spokane, Wash., was dedicated to the undergraduate research of computer science, engineering, hard sciences, English, performing arts and other disciplines.

Junior Sean Campbell gave a presentation on computer science entitled, “Author Attribution of Thomas Paine Work Using Stylistic Features and Machine Learning Algorithms.”

Since Iona has a connection to Thomas Paine, Campbell decided to merge his presentation together with his major computer science.

Campbell attended student presentations and enjoyed the one about savings in Indonesia. That presentation was given by Marquessa Smith-Lin from Elon University and it was entitled “The Impact of Formal Banking Institutions on Indonesian Households’ Saving Behavior.”

“I liked the one on micro savings in Indonesia,” Campbell said. “The speaker discussed micro credit and that helps people in developing countries.”

Presentations were given by the students on the individual and group research that they had spent the entire year working on. Whether the research was complete or not, students discussed and presented the research that they had already completed.

Senior Elizabeth Belmont gave a presentation on criminology entitled “Female College Students’ Concerns About Sexual Assault Implications of Everyday Male Behavior.”

Sophomore Jacqueline Denver, juniors Melissa Morales and Peter Milianta and seniors Michelle Muzzio and Omoakhe Tisor presented their chemistry research on biomimetic membrane formation.

Seniors Monica Suleiman, Jeffrey Robinette, Costantinos Vrahimis and Michael Brown gave a 15-minute presentation about computer science research.

Senior Charlotte Ference gave her presentation on Chaucer.

Seniors Orlando Barreiro, Joshua Espinosa, Brandon McNamara and Damir Hodzic presented “Integration of Atmospheric Sensors into Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Platforms.”

Freshman Devika Joshi did his psychology research entitled “Inspection and Application of Joiner’s Interpersonal Theory of Suicide.”

Junior Walter Squires gave a computer science presentation entitled “Deep Analysis of the Security of Mobile Applications.”

Squires also attended one of the guest speaker presentations as well as the student presentations on engineering.

The student presentation he enjoyed the most was by Jonathan Maywood and Weston Miller of Jacksonville University.

“I enjoyed being around other presenters. I went to engineering presentations the most,” Squires said. “One was about 3D printing a ukulele and to have it sound the same as one made out of wood.”

Deadline for students to present their research was December 2, 2014. Students had until April 2015 to get their presentations together and to finalize their research. Students had the option to present their research orally or through a poster with a small discussion. Abstracts also had to be submitted.