English Department offering London study abroad course

Iona has many opportunities to study abroad for students; however, some students either do not have the room in their schedule or the necessary payment in order to do a full semester or summer break abroad. One option such students have is the several spring break study abroad opportunities Iona offers. This spring semester, the English department will be offering one such program.

Dr. Ivy Stabell and Dr. Anna Clark will be leading a study abroad class next semester. The course will be a combined study opportunity, as Stabell will be teaching New Worlds, ENG 214, and Clark will be teaching The Victorian Age , ENG 432. The trip will take place over spring break in March, leaving students with plenty of time to take other classes.

“The London course is a little bit of the brain child of Dr. Clark and I,” Stabell said. “Both of us are immense fans of the city of London and just England in general. We both are also interested a little bit in different ways of conceptualizing spaces and how literature talks about that. Both of our courses focus on conceptions of London as a city, as a place of fashion and art and invention.”

Stabell’s lower level course will fulfill a core English requirement for students, while Clark’s upper level course fulfills requirements for English majors, minors and the honors core. The courses will meet with each other before and after the trip to discuss what will be happening in the city and how the literature being studied will apply to the surroundings.

“For our London program, we’re still signing people up,” Stabell said. “If you’re interested please contact [us] or go to the study abroad main page and there are links to follow for more information. I’d be happy to talk more about the trip. If you’re interested, please come join us because it’s going to be a really fun time.”

To learn more, contact Dr. Stabell at [email protected] or Dr. Clark at [email protected]