Gaels defeat Penn State 17-5 to break five-game skid

The Gaels performed well on all cylinders in route to a 17-5 victory against Penn State on Friday.

“If we play fast and control the ball, we’ll be a tough team to play against throughout the season,” head coach Brian Kelly said. “We’ve shown that throughout the season.”

Iona started the match off strong, scoring six goals in the first quarter and three goals in the second quarter. Penn State managed to only tally three goals in the first half. 

“We protected the ball,” Kelly said. “When we protect the ball, we’re pretty good.”

The Gaels went on to dominate the Nittany Lions throughout the whole match, scoring an additional eight goals in the second half, while shutting out Penn State in the third period.

“We did really good pressing them,” Kelly said. “We were able to get a lot of steals and use our speed. I think our speed was key today.”

The chemistry and understanding of the team played a big part in today’s win.

“I thought tonight was a great example of teamwork,” Kelly said. “We had a lot of guys contribute tonight.”

Going into the game, attacking and being more clinical were definitely goals that needed to be achieved in order to win.

“Our offense needs to improve,” Kelly said. “[as well as] our creativity with the ball.”

The focus on offense in practice seemed to have proven fruitful as the attack against Penn State was both clinical and unpredictable. Iona’s ball movement had Penn State’s defense baffled and working hard.

“I saw a lot of guys score a lot of different goals today,” Kelly said.

The team’s depth was shown in full force. Sophomore goalie Michael Banks took advantage of the chance given to him, only allowing five goals passed him in net.

“We showed our depth in goal, with our third goalie getting a lot of work in,” Kelly said. “[It was] his first collegiate win.”

Freshman Brett Hofer, sophomore Daniel Savage and freshman Andrew Brozovic earners playing time in the match.

“Brozovic had a great game,” Kelly said. “I saw some good things from Hofer and Savage and a couple guys who haven’t been getting a lot of minutes lately.”

The Gaels take on Salem International on Saturday. Iona will head into the match with plenty of confidence after its performance against the Nittany Lions. 

“Now we just have to start stringing some wins together,” Kelly said.

Follow @IonianSports on Twitter and Instagram