Gaels place fourth, sixth in 2018 MAAC Indoor Championship

Ryan McFadden, Sports Editor

The Iona College track and field team competed in the 2018 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Indoor Championship on Feb. 18. The men’s team finished in fourth place and, the women’s team came in sixth.

The men’s team tallied 98 points during the two day event. The women’s team on the other hand, had 29 points. Monmouth’s men’s and women’s squad finished first in the conference championship. The Hawks’ men’s team, who tallied 262 points, have now won four straight MAAC titles.

Iona junior Johannes Motschmann was named Men’s Most Outstanding Performer. Motschmann placed first in the 5,000 meter with a time of 14:20.97. He followed that performance by recording a 8:14.80 time, which was good for first place in the 3,000 meter.

Freshman Ehab El-Sandali was named the men’s Rookie of the Meet. Sandali finished in third in the mile run. Senior Liam Dee came in first place, while senior Chartt Miller placed second in the same event.

Sophomore Gerom Solis came in fifth place in the men’s 60 meter after recording a personal best 7.00 time.

Junior Gilbert Kirui came in second place behind Motschmann in both the 5,000 and 3,000 meter run. The Gaels finished in second place in the Men’s Distance Medley.

Iona sophomore Kaitlyn Ohrtman placed third in the women’s mile run preliminaries before finishing fourth in the finals with a 5:00.34 time. Senior Kara McKenna came in eighth place in the women’s mile run finals.

Senior Daniele Martino ran a 9:51.33 time in the women’s 3,000 meter to earn a fourth place finish. The women’s team placed seventh in the 4×400 meter relay. The men’s team earned fourth place in the same event.

Follow @IonianSports on Twitter and Instagram