Iona begins first Bachelorette competition

Toasty Biscuits Starch and Carbohydrate Editor

Disclaimer: This article is an April Fool’s article featured in our 2018 April Fool’s issue. 

The mission of Iona College is to guarantee the success of its students. The college aims for academic success by offering a wide variety of unique classes, social success through a plethora of extra-curricular activities and professional success with amazing internship opportunities.

However, Iona recognizes that its students desire more than just academic and professional achievements; they are also searching for someone to share them with. Dating is an important part of student’s lives but finding romance on campus can be tough.

Accordingly, the college aims to play matchmaker by greenlighting “The Iona Bachelorette Experience.”

“The Iona Bachelorette Experience” will be a month-long event that gives one lucky lady-Gael the chance to choose between 30 gentlemen. The school will set up dates for the bachelorette to experience with the men of her choosing. Over the course of the journey, the bachelorette will have to let several of the men go until there is one left.

The school understands that a proposal is a lot to ask of such young people, so rather than the typical Bachelorette engagement, Iona hopes that the winning couple will commit themselves to an exclusive relationship.

Over spring break, the college officially announced that the woman searching for love will be junior Jessica Schmidt. She is a Speech Pathology major from Edison, New Jersey. Schmidt is the president of the American Sign Language Club as well as general member of the Speech and Hearing Club. She is a Golden Key Honors student who also finds success in the pool as a star member of the Women’s Swimming and Diving Team.

“Jessica is the poster child for a successful Iona student,” said Chris Harrison, president of Iona College. “Whether it is through her work in her extra-curricular activities or her knock-out performances in the pool, Ms. Schmidt truly aims to move the world in every aspect of her life. Iona could not be happier to make Jessica the face of our new college dating experience and to help her find the partnership she deserves.”

Schmidt was elated when she received the news that she would be Iona’s first Bachelorette.

“I would like to thank Chris and Iona College for giving me this amazing opportunity. I think it shows how truly dedicated Iona is to their students that they are willing to help them find romance,” Schmidt said. “Being a student athlete, it can be tough to make my love life a top priority. Luckily, with the help of ‘The Iona Bachelorette Experience,’ I can finally find the man of my dreams.”

Men wishing to win over Jessica can apply at special Bachelorette booths located throughout campus. The only requirement for selection is that men be currently enrolled as either a graduate or undergraduate student at Iona.

“I am looking for a guy that has a great sense of humor, family oriented and has a love for the outdoors,” Schmidt said.

The 30 men competing for Schmidt’s heart will be announced at a special event during Spring Weekend 2018. “The Iona Bachelorette Experience” will begin in May following the completion of final exams.