Gaels win fifth MAAC Championship in school history

Iona sophomore Oisin Devereux tied for 11th place with fellow teammate Kritsarin Oukosavanna in the MAAC Championship.

It is the most stressful time of the year on the Iona College campus. Students are finishing up their final projects, studying for finals or graduating and trying to figure out their next step.

While students were left to stress about school up north, the Iona golf team traveled to Florida to compete in the 2018 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Golf Championship, which ran from April 20 to 22, and won their fifth championship title.   

This was the first MAAC championship win for head coach Sean Burke.

Iona held a fairly large lead entering the final day. However, Siena College came out firing to trim the lead.

Iona’s team was led by freshman Justin Burkhamer through the late stages, as he finished second in the individual leaderboard. Sophomore Matt Mirocco also had his most clutch performance in the final day.

Burkhamer’s performance led to 2018 MAAC Rookie of the Year honors, while Burke was named MAAC Coach of the Year.

The individual scores after Burkhamer’s second place finish were as follows: Junior Paolo Matti tied for eighth, sophomore Oisin Devereux and freshman Kritsarin Oukosavanna tied for 11th and Mirocco tied for 31st.

Burkhamer and Matti were both named to the All-MAAC team.

Iona’s final team score was 895 and Siena finished 897. Manhattan, Rider and Canisius rounded out the top five finishes.

Iona will prepare for the 2018 NCAA Regionals. The tournament will start on May 14.

TEAM LEADERBOARD

PLACE

TEAM

SCORE

1.

Iona College

895 (+31)

2.

Siena College

897 (+33)

3.

Manhattan College

902 (+38)

4.

Rider University

908 (+44)

5.

Canisius College

910 (+46)

6.

Monmouth University

913 (+49)

7.

Saint Peter’s University

920 (+56)

8.

Fairfield University

925 (+61)

9.

Niagara University

953 (+89)

IONA INDIVIDUAL LEADERBOARD

PLACE

TEAM

SCORE

2th

Justin Burkhamer

220 (+4)

T8th

Paolo Matti

225 (+9)

T11th

Oisin Devereux

227 (+11)

T11th

Kritsarin Oukosavanna

227 (+11)

T31st

Matt Mirocco

235 (+19)

*Leaderboard chart courtesy of ICGaels.com

Follow @IonianSports on Twitter and Instagram