A guide to Iona sports this homecoming weekend

Ryan McFadden, Sports Editor

Homecoming weekend at Iona College – which takes place Oct. 19 to Oct. 21 – is filled with plenty of events for students, families and alumni to enjoy. It is also a busy time for Iona Athletics, as there are games scheduled throughout the day on Saturday. From the men’s basketball scrimmage to volleyball and men’s soccer games, various teams will be showcased in front of the Iona community. Here is a look at what sporting events you can check out during Homecoming.

Maroon and Gold Scrimmage

The Maroon and Gold scrimmage will feature the men’s basketball team playing against each other. The scrimmage – which will start at 11:30 a.m. – will give fans a first look at the team before its season opener against the University of Albany on Nov. 9.

Iona will have a new look, as the team consists of five returners and seven newcomers. Junior guard Isaiah Still, who is one of the returning players, didn’t play last season due to NCAA Transfer Regulations. Senior point guard Rickey McGill is the only player on the roster who has been apart of all three Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference championship teams.

Swimming and Diving vs. Sacred Heart/St. Francis Brooklyn/Wagner

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams will kick off Homecoming weekend with a meet against Sacred Heart, St. Francis Brooklyn and Wagner on Oct. 20. This will be the Gaels’ third swim meet of the 2018-19 season. Earlier this month, Iona won its first and second meets of the season against Southern Connecticut State and Holy Cross, respectively.

The meet is set to start at 9:30 a.m.

Men’s Soccer vs. Siena

Iona’s match against Siena on homecoming is expected to be a big game. The Gaels (6-5-2, 2-3-1 MAAC) currently hold the sixth and final playoff spot in the conference, while Siena sits in eighth. The Gaels will have the benefit of playing on Mazzella Field where they have posted a 5-1-1 record, which ranks first in the conference.

The match is set to start at 12 p.m.

Rugby vs. Penn State

After the men’s soccer match against Siena, the rugby team will hit Mazzella Field for its game against Penn State. The Gaels will have a big test ahead them as the Nittany Lions are ranked fifth in the nation.

Volleyball vs. Manhattan

Iona’s game against rival Manhattan will be the final sporting event during Homecoming. The Gaels sit in first place in the MAAC and are riding a seven-game winning streak as of press time. The Gaels are worthy contenders for the conference title and it’s worth checking them out.