Students, faculty host show on WVOX

Students can create segments for the show in the podcast booth of the Murphy Center.

“Iona College Radio Hour,” a radio show featuring Iona faculty and students, began airing on the New Rochelle radio station WVOX on Sept. 19.

Mike Damergis, a Mass Communications professor and the coordinator for the Sports and Media Communications graduate program, co-hosts the show with Mass Communications Media Director Joe D’Aloisio. The show features the accomplishments of Iona alumni, current students, professors and the school as a whole.

The show also covers popular topics such as current events, pop culture and sports. For example, during the Sept. 26 show, the hosts—along with Mass Communications professor Dr. Jack Breslin—discussed the Brett Kavanaugh confirmation hearings. For this topic, Damergis and the other hosts also got information from specialists and opinions from other people on the subject.

Damergis believes that including students in the process of making the show allows students to gain more professional experience.

“[My goal is for] students [to] get more involved because it gives students a professional experience outside of WICR, outside of a club, or outside of a classroom, and it’s right here in New Rochelle,” Damergis said.

While Damergis and D’Aloisio co-host, four Iona students also participate in creating segments for the show. While all the current students involved are Mass Communications majors, participation is open to Iona students of any major.

Nikkole Maldari, a junior in the Mass Communications program, does a “This Week in Entertainment” minute for the show, where she recaps what happened in the entertainment world over the past week. Maldari believes that as a student, getting involved with “Iona College Radio Hour” is very beneficial.

“I think that it’s important for students to be involved because of all the benefits that will come out of the experience,” Maldari said. “Not only do students have the opportunity to have their work broadcasted on the radio but they can also get the feel of what it would be like to actually work in the world of radio.”

Some of the other segments on the show include a “This Week in Iona” minute, entertainment interviews and spotlight features on members of the Iona community. Professor Matthew Carey from the LaPenta School of Business will begin a weekly business segment on the show on Oct. 17.

“Iona College Radio Hour” can be heard by tuning into 1460AM or by going onto wvox.com.