71° New Rochelle, NY
The Student News Site of Iona University

The Ionian

The Ionian

The Ionian

Four tips on how to scout out a good restaurant

Image made on Canva. Read up on helpful restaurant scouting tips.

Finding a good restaurant can be difficult and overwhelming at times due to the sheer number of restaurants around town or even on a single street, luckily there are many ways to sort through those restaurants to determine which one would be most appealing to you.

Restaurants come in all shapes and sizes and offer much to consumers based on things such as the menu, atmosphere, and visual distinctions. Those aforementioned factors are key concepts when considering what kind of restaurant, you should dine at and are integral to a restaurant’s success and business endeavors.

New Rochelle is home to many wonderful restaurants with varying degrees of quality and navigating through restaurants can be a fun but tricky challenge.  

1. Check out the atmosphere 

A restaurant’s atmosphere is a telling way of knowing if a restaurant is worth going to without stepping a foot inside. If it’s a Saturday night and a restaurant is empty chances are the place isn’t worth the time since others aren’t giving it the time of day either.  

2. Online reviews 

Technology has made many aspects of life much easier and restaurant scouting is one of them because a quick Google search for a restaurant allows for reviews and ratings in the palm of your hand, and if a restaurant is plagued with negative reviews, then it is probably not worth the time and money. 

3. Consider personal preference. 

We all have our favorite types of food, and that can be taken into consideration for determining where to eat, if there’s a certain type of food you dislike, then avoiding a restaurant that serves that type of food is a logical choice to make, finding a spot that serves a personal favorite food type of yours is an ideal way of finding a restaurant that meets your personal needs and criteria.  

4. Scout out the street

If a restaurant is located on a busy street, with a lot of competition and is still popular it is a testament to its success and notability, due to the fact that regardless of the competition the restaurant continues to strive and bring in customers.  

All restaurants have something to offer and giving every restaurant a fair shot is a worthy endeavor and can make for fun outings with friends or family and can allow for new favorite restaurants to form while sifting through what New Rochelle has to offer.  Restaurants are often a passion project from those involved and that passion can be felt during a dine in experience and the colorful atmosphere adds onto the enjoyment of the environment a restaurant offers.