57° New Rochelle, NY
The Student News Site of Iona University

The Ionian

The Ionian

The Ionian

Emotional win propels S&D into MAAC Championships

Photo courtesy of Ionagaels.com. Iona honored their seniors in front a capacity crowd on Jan. 27.

The Iona University men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams concluded their 2023-24 regular seasons schedules after matches against Fordham University and Manhattan College at the Hynes Center Pool in late-January.  

The program’s 5 p.m. matchup versus Fordham on Jan. 24 was their second dual meet in the previous five days, following a visit to Fairfield, Conn., to play Fairfield University on Jan. 20.  

The women’s squad, who were 2-6 heading into the meet, achieved just one first place finish on the afternoon, as sophomore Katherine Sarnes won the 1,000-yard freestyle in 10:52.57. Her teammates, Tristan Urso and Kate Kennedy, impressed as well, also finishing under the 11-minute mark.  

The Rams then beat the Gaels in the 13 events that followed, but a triumvirate of Gaels, Ashley Benkert, Megan Josephs and Isabelle Nicholson, all held second-place positions in the 100-butterfly, 100-free and 50-free. Rookie diver Emma Todd made her home pool debut and performed in the 1-meter springboard for the first time in 2024, racking up fourth place points.  

The women fell by a score of 222-74, nearly identical to their Fairfield performance, overall.  

Senior co-captain Michael Faughnan excelled for the men in the 1,000-free, 500-free and 200-free, winning three golds. First-year students Kieran Egan and Noah Giunta added wins to the Gaels’ total too, topping the 100 and 200-backstroke, and 200-butterfly events.  

Moving towards the diving portion of the day, sophomore Dylan Riccio took home wins in the 1-meter (242.33) and 3-meter (250.95) board events.  

Head coach Nick Cavataro said both teams were aggressive in the competition, which is something the program has to continue in preparation for the upcoming postseason meets.  

“We demonstrated strong aggressiveness today in our races,” Cavataro said. “And that is something we have to do as we continue to prepare for our MAAC Championships next month.”  

The swimming and diving team’s next meet came against Manhattan College on Jan. 27. Iona held Senior Day for the program, and the eight graduating students were recognized in front of the sell-out crowd. The men and women won both of their matchups with respective scores of 182-56 and 182-79.  

Nine women brought home 11 wins, including two apiece from Josephs and Todd. Kennedy, Sarnes and Nicholson, as well as Ivonne Gomez, Erin McKinney, Elisa Vaher and Brennyn Veit, all captured first-place finishes of their own.  

Regarding the men’s side, Faughnan, Egan and Riccio ended up with gold medals, too, dominating the medley, backstroke, freestyle and springboard events.  

Cavataro said the teams felt extra incentive to perform well considering it was Senior Day and the large fan turnout.  

“We swam with a lot of focus and emotion today,” Cavataro said. “Our entire group wanted to swim well in front of the large crowd and for their senior teammates, and the results were strong.” 

Up next for the swimming and diving program is the 2024 MAAC Championships, which begin on Feb. 13 in Geneva, Ohio.