51° New Rochelle, NY
The Student News Site of Iona University

The Ionian

The Ionian

The Ionian

Sports Outside Iona

Photo by Carlos Osorio, AP Photos
After their Nov. 25 victory, Michigan improved their all-time series lead to 61-51-6 against Ohio State.

The world of sports is ever-changing. From record-breaking free agent contracts to new world champions, sports draw us in based on their entertaining, yet unpredictable qualities. As such, this column is intended to briefly recap key sports stories that have recently emerged. Here are some of the more important ones:  

Winter Meetings signals flurry of offseason moves

The MLB offseason is here, and with Winter Meetings starting in Nashville, teams like the St. Louis Cardinals have already been making deals. In the last month, the Cardinals added three free agents, all starting pitchers, to try and bolster their rotation for 2024. The Cardinals inked Sonny Gray to a three year, $75 million contract, Kyle Gibson to a one year, $12 million agreement and Lance Lynn, who spent the beginning of his career in St. Louis, to a one year, $10 million pact. The Philadelphia Phillies struck a deal of their own, re-signing starter Aaron Nola for seven years and $172 million to keep the veteran in the City of Brotherly Love. Lastly, the Detroit Tigers made a couple moves as well, hoping to compete in a notoriously weak American League Central. Early in the offseason, they acquired outfielder Mark Canha from the Milwaukee Brewers in exchange for relief pitcher prospect Blake Holub, and recently signed starter Kenta Maeda to a two year, $24 million contract. As for the rest of the Major Leagues, rumors, like that of two-way superstar Shohei Ohtani, are currently heating up. 

Information from MLB.com 

Thanksgiving week games add to playoff implications 

The NFL’s Week 12 was one for the books, starting off with the Green Bay Packers versus Detroit Lions. The Lions were not on their A-game, because they had three turnovers throughout the matchup, while the Packers did not give up the ball once. The loss continued the Lions’ streak of seven consecutive Thanksgiving Day losses. The Broncos, on the contrary, are hot, getting their fifth straight win after beating the Cleveland Browns 29-12. The game between the Buffalo Bills and Philadelphia Eagles was truly a nail biter throughout, with the Eagles finding ways to stay in the game even as they trailed on several occasions. Then, just as the Eagles were on the brink of a loss, kicker Jake Elliot hit a 59-yard field goal to bring the game to overtime. Philadelphia capitalized at the end with a touchdown, as Buffalo only got three additional points.  

Information from NFL.com. 

Conference realignment, playoff bracket loom as College Football winds down

The University of Washington took on the University of Oregon in the final Pac-12 football game on Dec. 1. No. 2 Washington hosted the affair as they tried to keep their flawless season alive. Washington’s quarterback, Michael Penix Jr., threw for 319 yards, but tossed both a touchdown and interception. Oregon’s Heisman candidate, Bo Nix, tossed 219 yards, but added three touchdowns as his Ducks fell 34-31. The University of Alabama faced off against Auburn University in their annual Iron Bowl game on Nov. 25. The Crimson Tide kept their three-game event win streak alive, pacing the Tigers 27-24 on a last-second, fourth-and-goal touchdown from Jalen Milroe to Isaiah Bond. The University of Michigan and Ohio State University held their own rivalry match on the same day, often referred to as “The Game.” Wolverines running back, Blake Corum, was effective on his 22 carries, totaling 88 yards and two touchdowns. The Buckeyes’ Marvin Harrison Jr. tried to keep Ohio State alive with five catches for 118 yards and a score, but Michigan pulled ahead 30-24 after two fourth quarter field goals.  

Information from ESPN.com and collegefootballplayoff.com