Hynes Institute hosts ‘Coworking with Riana’ to aid students with ideation

Photo taken by @hynesinstitute on Instagram
The Hynes Institute provides a creative outlet for students.

Student Engagement Coordinator for the Hynes Institute for Entrepreneurship, Riana Khan, hosted “Coworking with Riana: Hynes Institute Student Engagement Coordinator,” where students can come to the Hynes Coworking Space to ask questions related to entrepreneurship. 

Khan graduated in 2022, with her Marketing & Entrepreneurship bachelor’s degree and a master’s being Advanced Certificate in Entrepreneurship, which were both earned at Iona University. Due to her experience and prerequisites, Khan is one of the many resources that students can turn to at the Hynes Institute. 

“As an alum, if any student is working on an idea, I can help them with the process,” Khan said. “The institute is for everyone, so even if you don’t have classes necessarily related to entrepreneurship you are more than welcomed, the space is open regardless of major.”   

Khan also remarks on how this event and the space it’s held in is intended to make students comfortable as there is no other space on campus quite like it. She refers to the affirmation wall that students can contribute to, LEGO setup and the open layout of the institute as building blocks that establish success. 

Amidst the conversation with Khan, one of the assistant directors for the Hynes Institute for Entrepreneurship, Marisol Chappell, joined in to highlight the enjoyment she gets from giving students opportunities and a platform to flourish in the entrepreneurial space. 

Most notably, Chappell remarks on the intuitiveness of students who seek creative ventures within the field. E-Talks held in the Hynes Institute, such as Khan’s, serve as an example of how they want to empower students regardless of major to learn something and apply it to their everyday lives. 

Chappell, along with Khan, both reiterated their stance on how Hynes’ Coworking Space serves as a great place to cultivate thoughts, seek and further ideas. Khan and Chappell also touch on how students will always be able to reach out to them if they ever need anything or want to get involved.  

Encouraging creativity and opportunities for students is why the institute hosts events in years’ past like the “Iona Innovation Challenge” or “Iona Student Entrepreneurial Panel,” which are meant to greatly benefit the students and are mostly backed by the CEO Club.  

Next week, the CEO Club, in conjunction with the Fashion Club, plan to host the “CEO Club Affirm Your Tee Fashion Show” on Oct. 25 at the Hynes Coworking Space in Spellman Hall and plan to welcome and highlight the creativity of students who may or may not have otherwise considered themselves creators. Prizes will be awarded to the top three finalists with the most unique “Affirm with a Tee” designs.