Sports Outside Iona

The world of sports is ever-changing. From record-breaking free agent contracts to new world champions, sports draw us in based on their entertaining, yet unpredictable qualities. As such, this column is intended to briefly recap key sports stories that have recently emerged. Here are some of the more popular stories 

Yankees in unfamiliar territory as they miss postseason bracket

The New York Yankees have failed to make the playoffs for the first time since the 2016 season. It’s been an all-around disappointing year for the Yankees, as they currently find themselves sitting in fourth place in the American League East division. Meanwhile, the three teams ahead of the Yankees in the standings, the Baltimore Orioles, Tampa Bay Rays, and Toronto Blue Jays, have clinched postseason spots. The Yankees came into the 2023 season with World Series aspirations after locking up captain Aaron Judge on a nine year, $360 million contract, bringing back Anthony Rizzo and signing All-Star Carlos Rodón. Injuries ravaged the team early on, however, as Rodón, Giancarlo Stanton, Luis Severino and Harrison Bader, among others, all ended up on the shelf at one point during the season. When healthy, they did not perform up to their usual standards. Inconsistency from the younger players also threw a wrench into the works, despite strong performances from Anthony Volpe and Jasson Dominguez when healthy. One of the lone bright spots on the year has been Gerrit Cole, who rivaled some of his career-best numbers and is likely to win his first Cy Young Award. The Yankees did manage a 17-9 run in September, but it was far too late to make noise in a cutthroat American League playoff race.  

Information from ESPN and MLB.com. 

Consistency a persistent issue for 1-3 Jets  

The New York Jets’ first four games have not been what was promised during the summer. Future Hall of Famer Aaron Rodgers tore his Achilles in Week 1 versus Buffalo before he could even complete a pass. Thanks to an unbelievable performance from the defense and a punt-return touchdown in overtime by rookie Xavier Gipson, the Jets started the season with an upset. For a moment, MetLife Stadium erupted in joy and excitement, but when everything settled, a burning question was made clear: What would the Jets play at quarterback now? After back-to-back disappointing performances in Weeks 2 and 3, there is skepticism about Zach Wilson being able to take the reins and lead this team. Furthermore, it is incredibly difficult to find a quality replacement at this point in the season, unless a trade opportunity comes through. The Jets tried to fill the quarterback room marginally with the signing of Trevor Siemian. Jets fans are split on the best course of action. Some have their eyes on veterans like Vikings QB Kirk Cousins and Commanders backup Jacoby Brissett, and others are hoping for a miracle where Rodgers somehow returns this year. However, there is a small percentage of fans who still believe in Wilson and think he could turn his year around against all odds. This group was finally given a break with Wilson playing the best game of his career in Week 4 against Kansas City. Even with all the trials and tribulations of Wilson’s early tenure, this performance gives folks a false sense of hope. With all the offseason hype, it’s hard to watch what’s happening to the Jets, falling to 1-3 with major question marks.  

Information from NFL.com and ESPN. 

Simmons’ health a big if for Brooklyn

One of the major stories going into this upcoming season for the Brooklyn Nets is the health and performance of point guard Ben Simmons. During the 2021-2022 NBA trade deadline, the Nets sent James Harden and Paul Millsap to the Philadelphia 76ers for Simmons, Andre Drummond, Seth Curry and two first round picks. Simmons would miss the rest of the 2021-22 season with a knee injury, but would be ready to go for the 2022-23 season. However, the injury debilitated Simmons and made him seem like a shell of the All-NBA player he was just three seasons ago. After playing in only 41 games, Nets head coach Jacque Vaughn shut Simmons down for the remainder of the season. Things finally seem to be looking up for both the Nets and Simmons after a seven month layoff. Vaughn said that Simmons will be a full participant in training camp, and general manager Sean Marks plans on making the three-time All-Star a focal point of the offense. The coaches, front office and fans can only hope that Simmons stays on the court and elevates a Nets team that is in desperate need of his all-around potential.  

Information from ESPN and Fox Sports.