G.I.V.E introduces themselves and looks forward to the future

Photo Credit: Jocelyn Arroyo-Ariza
The Student Advisory of G.I.V.E are excited for program’s next steps.

The G.I.V.E (Gael Interpersonal Violence Education) Grant Program hosted their first event of the academic year last Friday. Held in the Endzone, the event served as an introduction to the program and way to deliver some important updates. Gaels had the chance to meet the Student Advisory Team and ask them questions on how they can make a difference on campus.   

Light refreshments were served such as donuts and munchkins. Each table provided coloring sheets and art supplies for attendees. After catching up with one another and meeting new faces, the event officially began.     

G.I.V.E originated in September 2020 with the university receiving a grant from the Office of Violence against Women from the Department of Justice to create a program to combat against and educate students on Domestic/Dating Violence, Sexual Assault and Stalking.  

Leonora Campbell was hired in January 2021 to work with the initial CCRT team (Coordinating Community Response Team,) which was made up of faculty who were instrumental during the beginning of the grant. The CCRT were the ones who wrote the grant and submitted it to the Department of Justice. From January 2021 to October 2021, Campbell worked with the CCRT team to develop a strategic plan to get the plan approved. During this period, she began to meet with students.  

The initial period for the G.I.V.E grant is ending at the end of this month. However, Campbell applied for a project extension and a continuation grant for three more years. There are funds still in the current grant that did not get used for several reasons including money being put aside for a website.    

Campbell hopes the announcement of the grant’s extension and continuation will come soon. She wants to continue the work that has been started. Campbell hopes to have a website and to involve instructors so G.I.V.E is involved in the curriculum. She stresses that the main goal of G.I.V.E is to let students know that there are people who care if they or their friends are ever involved in a situation.    

G.I.V.E works with off-campus partners. The two confidential resources on campus are the counseling center and Fr. Gerald. Some students may not feel comfortable with letting someone know what’s happening on campus. This is why G.I.V.E partners with WestCop (Westchester Community Opportunity Program Inc) and Westchester Medical Hosptial. G.I.V.E also partners with LOFT, which is an LGBTQ+ organization and the New Rochelle Police.  

Although G.I.V.E works yearlong, there are three months that are dedicated to specific topics and workshops. October is domestic violence awareness month, January is stalking, February is dating violence, and the biggest month is April, which is sexual assault awareness month. All the other months are open for other presentations and activities.      

Part of the original idea was an emphasis on stalking. G.I.V.E had a stalking campaign and a committee. Staking 101 is a skit video produced and acted by the Student Advisory Team to help educate Gaels. The video is almost complete with statistics that need to be added. G.I.V.E will promote the video keeping in mind that January is stalking awareness month. The second installment, stalking 202, will be completed next semester. When the videos are completed, Campbell hopes to host a premiere to start a conservation about stalking.  

G.I.V.E currently meets on Tuesdays 3:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. However, this is a tentative timeslot. Students who want to get involved in G.I.V.E can email their schedules to Campbell.