New hire readies Gaels’ young lacrosse program

Photo courtesy of ionagaels.com
Lacrosse was named Iona’s 22nd intercollegiate athletic program in 2022.

Men’s lacrosse took one step closer to their inaugural season in 2024 following the hiring of Isaac Atencio as the Gaels’ first-ever assistant coach.  

Pursuing lacrosse in the third grade led to unforgettable accomplishments and memories for Atencio that ultimately forged his way to the Gaels. Throughout his high-school career, Atencio was a key player in three Colorado Springs Box League titles, helping to build a name for Palmer High School. 

As a multi-talented young adult, Atencio was a member of seven clubs and activities. His academic talents shone through as a member of the International Baccalaureates, National Honor Society and Student Council Cabinet. In athletics, Atencio’s prime focus was lacrosse. 

During an interview at Cleveland State University in 2019, Atencio noted that what he loved most about the sport was the familial aspect with his teammates. 

“I love having 40 other guys who are all together working towards a common goal,” Atencio said. “The time I spend with my teammates is the most fun I have, every year.” 

Opportunities first arose in 2015 when he was invited to sign a National Letter of Intent to play at Cleveland State alongside two of his fellow teammates from Palmer High School. Signing to Cleveland State meant joining a program in its inaugural year.  

In his first season, he played in 13 of the possible 14 games, even taking part in a game against Baldwin Wallace on Feb. 18, 2017. This game soon became the first victory for the team, foreshadowing the success soon to come. 

As a sophomore, Atencio’s performance on the field picked up in 2018. In addition to playing in every game of the season, he ranked third amongst his teamin caused turnovers, racking up a grand total of 10 caused turnovers himself. Not only did he score against Bellarmine, but also helped to defend against Duke University, a national finalist, by beating them and causing the lowest shooting percentage they had seen all season.  

Atencio’s hard work and determination that led to a 2018 breakout paved the way for an upcoming two-year captainship. 

“Lacrosse has taught me the value of having goals, setting goals and expectations for yourself,” Atencio said. “Having those goals there to strive for, as motivation, is powerful and something that I’ve taken away from lacrosse.”  

During his first year as captain, he helped lead the Cleveland State Vikings to a top 20 man-down and scoring defense.  

Although Atencio’s senior year was cut short due to the COVID-19 pandemic, he found himself graduating with honors, majoring in social studies.  

Atencio’s dedication to the sport directed him to Colorado College, where he earned first-team all-region honors from the Intercollegiate Men’s Lacrosse Coaches Association. In addition, Atencio was named as a First-Team All-Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference selection. He was also one of seven Colorado College Tigers to earn his spot on the SCAC and All-Conference Lacrosse Team.  

Atencio’s abilities and leadership skills from his previous teams should help steer one of Iona’s newest programs in the right direction from the start.