Iona officially gains university status

Emily Varker, Copy Editor

Iona officially became Iona University on July 12 after an announcement in the LaPenta School of Business atrium. 

Faculty, students, alumni and members of the Board of Trustees gathered with palpable excitement. The event began with an invocation by Br. Kevin Griffith, CFC ’83, Edmund Rice Christian Brothers North America, Province Leader, and Iona University Trustee. After the invocation, President Seamus Carey, Ph.D. gave a speech reflecting on the past of the college but also asking those in attendance to look toward the future. He stated that Iona would journey into the future looking to the wisdom of its forebears. 

When the moment of the announcement came, students pulled aside the black curtain at the front of the room to reveal the new Iona University logo. The applause after this reveal lasted for about a minute. President Carey reflected on the announcement. 

“While this change reflects the growth, structure, and direction of Iona, it also carries forward the legacy we have inherited… Our name is different, but our mission and values stay the same,” Carey said.  

The last speaker at the event was Aidan Connolly ’23, president of the Student Government Association. He looked back on his years at Iona, particularly how the COVID-19 pandemic affected Iona and praised Iona for its ability to make tough decisions in the name of student success and for its resilience against all odds.  

“I am more excited than ever to be a Gael,” Connolly said. “As a representative of the student body, I am confident in saying that the institution and community is prepared, excited and ready to become Iona University.”  

The excitement felt by Connolly, President Carey, and those at the announcement has extended to the new academic year leading to an air of celebration around campus which will be shown at a special birthday celebration for Iona University planned for Sept. 19 at noon.