Schedule changes continue as spring sports start

Photo courtesy of icgaels.com

Schools all across the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference have experienced schedule changes throughout the season.

Matthew Chaves, Sports Editor

Schedule changes have become the norm for student-athletes and coaches alike in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, and it doesn’t seem like these changes are going anywhere. 

Postponements and games being rescheduled have been the number one tool for the MAAC to make sure student-athletes across the conference are able to play their respective sport during the pandemic. To the best of the league’s ability, it has been successful so far. 

The way the MAAC men and women’s basketball championship was set up this season helped the men’s basketball team a lot. The Gaels were 6-3 in the MAAC before the championship thanks to one of the longest breaks in the NCAA this season, which spanned 51 days. The Gaels were hit with a positive COVID-19 case in late December, which caused the break to happen. Another positive case later in the season ended their regular season early on Feb. 20. 

This wasn’t enough to stop the Gaels though as they went through the MAAC championships and took home the trophy for the fifth time in six seasons. Nonetheless, the shaky schedule has kept both players and coaches on their toes. 

Sports affected so far for the Gaels include volleyball, baseball and men’s soccer. Baseball had their game with Siena rescheduled to March 21 and 22. Men’s soccer had their season starter against Saint Peter’s postponed, instead starting their season against Rider on March 18. Volleyball had their game versus Saint Peter’s postponed as well. Additionally, they had a match added on to their schedule versus Quinnipiac on March 19. 

Men’s water polo has been affected by these delays as well, though they compete in the Northeast Water Polo Conference rather than the MAAC. Nonetheless, they’ve experienced three postponements out of a possible seven games. 

The MAAC has also made changes to the lacrosse schedules as well. These haven’t affected Iona, but they show the looming impact COVID-19 still has on college sports today.