Men’s swim team falls to Griffins on the road

The Iona College men’s swimming team continued their conference competition by dropping their second meet of the season. The Gaels won five events against Canisius but lost 130-107 on the road.

The 400 yard medley relay team consisting of freshmen Ralph Porrazzo and Matthew Stelnicki, as well as seniors Patrick O’Reilly and Graham Weir, finished second with a time of 3:41.68.

Iona’s second team in the race that included freshmen Mark Wallace, Patrick Garvey, Lee Stiles and junior Trevor Creighton, was third with a time of 3:45.76.

In the 1000 yard free, freshman Nick Kotonias placed second, finishing in 10:16.97. Sophomore Joseph De Leone snagged fourth, and senior Michael O’Connor took sixth.

Freshman Justin Grigull was responsible for Iona’s first victory by taking the 200 yard free in 1:46.35. Garvey came in fourth in 1:52.95, while junior Raymond Joyal was sixth with a time of 1:58.13.

Senior Seth Tasman took second in the 50 yard free with a time of 22.26. Weir was fourth for the Gaels in 22.97, while Stiles was sixth with a time of 23.82.

Sophomore Chris Yacobacci was victorious in the 200 yard IM with a winning time of 1:59.51. Stelnicki was fourth with a time of 2:05.15, while freshman Ryan Bacci was fifth with a time of 2:07.49.

Kotonias placed second for the Gaels in the 200 yard fly event touching the wall in 2:03.75. O’Reilly finished third with a time of 2:07.43 with sophomore Michael Wu finishing fourth in 2:14.97.

Tasman put up another strong performance by winning the 100 yard free in 48.91.

Teammate Weir came in third in a time of 50.43 and sophomore Kristian Bocage was fifth with a time of 51.43.

In the 200 yard backstroke Porrazzo placed second, finishing in 2:03.03.

Wallace was close behind in third, swimming 2:05.33. Freshman Curtis Cello was the other Gael in the water and finished fifth completing the race in 2:10.62.

After winning his first event, Grigull finished second in the 500 yard free with a time of 4:49.23.

De Leone took third with a time of 5:01.51, while fellow Gael Kotonias was fourth with a time of 5:02.58.

Yacobacci was Iona’s top performer by picking up a second win in the pool in the 200 yard breaststroke with a time of 2:13.38.

Freshman Chris Giovine was third in the race, while Garvey was fourth.

In the last event of the meet, the foursome of Grigull, De Leone, Yacobacci and Tasman took home the 400 yard free relay title for Iona in a time of 3:18.51. The second relay for the Gaels that included Porrazzo, Creighton, Joyal and Wallace ranked third in a time of 3:23.19.

On Dec. 3 the Gaels will head to Baltimore, Md., as Loyola University will host the Loyola Invitational.

The two-day event will feature three sessions for each team. The Gaels will face-off against Loyola, Marist and Saint Peter’s. The exhibitions begin at 5 p.m. on Dec. 3.

Iona’s opponent for the first session has yet to be determined. Last season the Gaels played well in their matchup against Marist, defeating the Red Foxes 237-126. That win marked the teams best victory last season.

The Gaels did not fair well against Loyola, losing both meets against the Greyhounds. The two meets were close, as the Greyhounds narrowly escaped the Gaels.

Loyola took the first meet by the score of 200-150. The second came by a score of 157-110. Iona will look to return the favor in Baltimore.