Swim team downs Griffins

The women’s swim team had six first place finishes.

For the second consecutive meet, Iona College Women’s Swimming and Diving was victorious in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play. On Nov. 13 the Gaels won six events and defeated Canisius College on the road 131-110.

The 400 yard medley relay team that included freshman Maria Skeivys, junior Jamie Manser, senior Sam Cody and junior Mackenzie Mone led the Gaels in the opening event by posting a first place time of 4:10.19.

The second Iona relay team represented by sophomore Kelsie Johnson, sophomore Zuzanna Michalak, freshman Sophia Hyokyvaara, and junior Caitlin McGregor was third finishing in 4:23.06.

In the 1000 yard free, a pair of sophomores led the way for Iona. Kara Nowakowski placed second with a time of 11:04.52 and Victoria Ponzo captured third with a time of 11:21.12.

Freshman Brigitte Doughty posted an impressive first place finish in the 200 yard free finishing in 2:01.08. Other Gaels in the race included seniors Christine Williams and Christine Larkin who were third and sixth respectively.

In the 50 yard free event, Mone was also in the water for the Gaels and finished second with a time of 25.67. Rookie Kerri-Anne Dodenhoff was third with a finishing time of 26.30, while senior Sarah Walker was sixth with a time of 27.35.

For the 200 yard IM Skeivys, Cody and Manser took second, fourth and fifth for the Gaels.

Cody came back in the 200 yard fly with a time of 2:18.39 for second place, while Ponzo placed third with a time of 2:20.57.

In the 100 yard free, Mone led the way with a first place finish touching the wall in 54.82. Dodenhoff was fourth for the Gaels, while McGregor finished in sixth place.

For the 200 yard backstroke Skeivys took second with a time of 2:17.64, while Johnson was close behind in third with a time of 2:19.47.

Doughty notched another victory for Iona in the 500 yard freestyle, pacing to a 5:25.43 finish.

In the 200 yard breaststroke Iona swept the top spots. Manser came through for Iona again by winning the event in 2:35.87 and teammate Walker was second with a time of 2:36.12. Hyokyvaara completed the sweep in 2:36.36 with a third place performance for the Gaels.

The foursome of Williams, Dodenhoff, McGregor and Doughty was second with a time of 3:51.05 in the 400 yard freestyle relay to close out the swimming events.

On the diving side, sophomore Briana Gongloff took home the one meter diving title with 179.62 points. Freshman Melanie Dilascio was third with 118.81 points, while sophomore Jamie Colburn took fourth scoring 114.83 points.

In three meter diving, the trio of underclassmen led the way once again. Gongloff placed second for Iona with 180.52 points.