Lacrosse falters in season opener at UConn

The Iona College lacrosse team faced a tough loss on Feb. 18 against the University of Connecticut at the Sherman Complex losing 10-7.

Junior Kylie Gregory finished the season opener scoring five of the Gaels seven points.

In the first half, the Gaels were falling short 3-0, but sophomore Nina Veneziale scored Iona’s first goal of the season with 24:46 remaining, from a great pass by Gregory.

With less than 10 minutes left in the half, junior Brittney Mabus located Gregory to make the score 6-2.

Senior Casey Scully notched three points for the Gaels, scoring twice and finished the game with an assist.

Leading scorer, Gregory, scored twice and assisted on three goals. Freshman Meghan Testoni scored one point and Mabus and sophomore Brenna Lade added several assists to the Saturday afternoon game against the Huskies.

In the start of the second half, the Gaels tried to fight back as Iona came up with a goal by Testoni from a great pass by Scully making the score 8-4.

The Gaels came up with three successive points, hoping to get their first win.

Having 10 minutes left in the half, Iona trailed by three after the two goals from Veneziale and Testoni, making the score 8-5.

With Iona, trying to turn the game around at the 1:54 mark, Scully scored twice leaving her with three goals in the close defeat, but it was not enough.

UCONN junior goalie Brittney Testa finished the game with 15 saves, leading her team with nine in the second half, making it hard for the Gaels to score.

Freshman Blaire Nathanson had six saves in the game, with three in each half.

Huskies senior Kiersten Tupper led UConn with four goals and one assist. Sophomore Lauren Kahn put in four of the ten Huskies points and had one assist.