Spring Weekend sees tragedy in ‘Phaedra’

Freshmen Kali Steverson and Emily Nevins in the final performance of ‘Phaedra.’

Writers can aim their focus to many interesting plot lines, but one of the most favored subjects is arguably that of Greek tragedies. Vengeful and mischievous gods, torrid love affairs, the cruel hand of fate and an ignorance of the idea of a happy ending.

It’s all seductive. And yet, with all this misery, these stories are reveled for their tragic beauty and powerful story telling. “Phaedra,” a play by Jean Racine, proves to be just that and the perfect choice to be performed this spring at Iona College.

The Iona College Theatre Ensemble opened “Phaedra” during Spring Weekend at Iona, starting April 25 with performances every day until the 28. The play was directed by Professor Thomas Donnarumma and stars many current students, ranging from freshmen to seniors.

While written by the French playwright Racine, the play is set in ancient Greece where the gods were worshiped and swords were the weapons of choice. Phaedra, the title character, is a queen driven mad by a forbidden love for her stepson, a man also plagued by affection as his feelings grow for a woman who has been made prisoner by his father.

Matters only worsen when the king enters the scene after an unfortunate, and unrequited, declaration of feelings. Jealousy, lies and a series of wrong choices follow leading to the ultimate price for these sins: death.

The play, housed in Doorley Auditorium, was skillfully executed in a sufficient amount of time, not long enough to cause restlessness amongst its audience but not short enough to leave them unsatisfied either. While one may be confused as to who’s who in the beginning of the production, it’s only because of the out of the ordinary names. Sure enough once everyone is introduced, it is a breeze to follow along.

Senior Marissa Ruggerio as Phaedra delivered an expert performance, making the audience hate her at times for her submissiveness to the conniving plans she set into play. She also garnered their sympathy just as quick by showing the madness and guilt that takes over her after following through on her plans.

Hippolytus, the unfortunate stepson, was portrayed by senior Brian Sears and junior Pieter Maddens. Sears gave the perfect performance as the righteous and wronged nobleman just trying to live his life with a love he thought he’d never have and leave all other madness behind him.

It is the king himself, Theseus, who becomes a larger than life. Played by senior Greg Morra, he gives amazing spectacles of rage and bouts of passion over the hurt and confusion caused by the dealings of his family while also displaying an equal amount of vulnerability and pain.

The supporting cast pop in and out of the scenes, showing exactly where their loyalties lie and giving what they believe to be wise words of advice to those whom they are pledged.

“Phaedra” proves to be a play worth seeing, one that should certainly run for a bit longer if not return at some other time in the year to Iona. Its plot line, heavy with emotion and intertwined with so many points of view, is successfully handled by both director and actors alike. It is a perfect addition to Spring Weekend at the college and is most definitely one of the better highlights.