Madame Web releases with mixed impact

“Madame Web” hit theaters on Valentine’s Day and the anticipated debut of Marvel’s character Cassandra Web. Cassandra Web played by the famous Dakota Johnson is a young woman who was an orphan since birth and lives life as a paramedic saving the lives of others. Along with her partner Ben Parker, Spider-Man’s Uncle, but a younger version played by Adam Scott.

This movie revolves around Cassandra Web and her not-so-coincidental meeting with three young teenage girls, Julia Cornwell played by Euphoria Star Sydney Sweeney, Anya Corazon played by Dora and the Lost City of Gold star Isabela Merced and Mattie Franklin played by Ghostbusters: Afterlife star, Celeste O’Connor. This movie takes you on a roller coaster of a story where these three teens are trying to escape their death and Cassandra Web protects them with every bit of herself.   

These three teenagers are trying to escape their death since the villain in “Madame Web” named Ezekiel Simes played by Napoleon star Tahar Rahim is after these girls because he sees a vision of them killing him soon. Ezekiel Sims in this film kills Cassandra’s mother to take away this special spider that helps with the healing process for humans. This spider, sort of like Spiderman’s, ends up giving Ezekiel Spider-like powers where he has tremendous leaping ability, wall-crawling and is physically strong. Ezekiel in the film will stop at nothing to kill these teenagers to prevent his death.  

The actors in the film are amazing just like in their other movie projects. The lead actress puts on a good performance of the character Cassandra Web who is witty, brave and a protector. The three girls who play the teenagers put on a comical performance where they were more of the comic relief in this film even with the villain stopping at nothing to kill them. The actor Ezekiel Sims who played the villain did a decent job playing the character, but many things seemed odd from a viewer’s standpoint.  

One thing for sure is whenever he said 90% of his lines his back or face was not in the frame and from the way his voice sounded it seemed like he was not the one saying his lines. It was almost like watching a film that was in another language, but the audio was in English, and his words did not match his mouth movement.  

There were other downsides to this film but not much to do with acting but with storytelling and editing. Some camera movements seemed like camera movements they used from the show “The Office” with the camera pointlessly zooming in and out on actors which made the editing of this film overall sloppy.

Then with story telling the ending was just clearly rushed. Where in the end Cassandra is not blind and paralyzed like her character in the comics but they never show how she became paralyzed they just put her in the wheelchair at the end of the film. Understandably, there is not much action in this movie since Madame Web is not a fighter, but the VFX just seemed off and again sloppy for a movie associated with Marvel.  

This film overall has amazing actors but not the ideal story telling or editing one would associate with a Marvel film.