‘A Baker’s Dozen’ features the creativity of clay

Randa Kriss Staff Writer

Who knew you could do so many beautiful and diverse things with clay? On Jan. 26, the Iona College Council on the Arts held its opening reception for a new exhibit. The exhibit, entitled “A Baker’s Dozen: The Versatile World of Clay” features the work of 13 different ceramic artists.

The reception took place in the Brother Kenneth Chapman Gallery where students, professors, friends, family and artists alike came together to celebrate the creative and unique works.

The gallery was filled with the work of each artist accompanied by a quote and small biography of each individual.

The variety in the works of clay was astounding. There were perfectly crafted and glazed bowls, cups and plates. Some were patterned, while others were coated with one fluid color.

Other pieces included decorated vases, mugs and tiles. All of the work was beautifully creative and different from one another.

A particular piece that stood out among the others was entitled “Leg Parade,” made by Mari Ogihara. The legs were crafted with a complicated pattern and intricate painting with bright colors.

Ogihara, who is a sculptor based in White Plains, said, “[my] medium of choice is clay for its close resemblance to skin.” This certainly comes across in her pieces; the leg parade is both imaginative and life-like.

Another eye-catching piece is that of artist Peter A. Davis. His pieces, in the center of the exhibit, are immensely intricate and detailed.

The pieces include many different pieces put together, reminiscent of a religious shrine. His projects have a lot of religious and natural imagery.

Additionally, a rather light and fun part of the exhibit is Jennie Chen’s “Animal Zen Altar,” which features bowls and statues of animals. There are cats, birds and rabbits, both as figurines and painted on the bowls. Chen’s pieces are expertly crafted and certainly desirable for any animal lover.

Overall, the exhibit contains an immense amount of talent and hard work. All of the clay pieces are beautiful and inspire emotion and thought. The curators of the exhibit, Mari Ogihara and Judith Weber, said in their piece of introduction, “We each experience [clay] in relation to our individual vision and philosophy. There is a long history of ceramic art in almost all developed cultures…We all leave our mark for the future.”

The artists’ love for clay and the thought and effort put into their work certainly shined throughout the exhibit. With each piece, one could admire both craftsmanship and philosophy. Sophomore Dan McGovern said, “The sculptures at the exhibit were all very impressive and I think it’s great that Iona can host events like this to promote exposure to the arts.

As the semester begins, this exhibit offers an opportunity for the Iona community to enjoy these works of clay and reflect on them as art.

The exhibit runs until Feb. 20 and admission is free for all students.