73° New Rochelle, NY
The Student News Site of Iona University

The Ionian

The Ionian

The Ionian

‘Thanksgiving’ is a holiday horror treat

“Thanksgiving,” a movie that was recently released in November right before the Thanksgiving holiday, is a funny yet exaggerated movie that deals with a serial killer around the Thanksgiving holiday season, specifically on Black Friday. This movie is a horror, mystery and thriller with a dash of comedy. Thanksgiving revolves around Plymouth, Massachusetts, the birthplace of the notorious holiday known as Thanksgiving. Everything in this movie unfolds a gripping narrative following a Black Friday riot culminating in tragedy. The film seamlessly blends elements of horror, suspense and a touch of humor to create a unique cinematic experience.

This film also stars well-known viral TikTok personality Addison Rae and actress Nell Verlaque, who are high school teenagers in this Black Friday gone wrong. On this particular Black Friday these teens, due to no fault to their own, were a part of one of the worst Black Friday store riots in Plymouth’s history. Some of these teenagers were afraid and others were recording people getting severely hurt on their phone in this Black Friday riot. A year later, a mystery man dressed as a pilgrim starts to go around Plymouth and kill a bunch of people.

This serial killer killed people who were involved in the Black Friday riots and, noticeably, were the ones causing a lot of the riot. This movie has many exaggerated deaths which is why it is rated R. The deaths in this movie are creative, yet stomach-churning to watch when these killings are unfolding.

The movie “Thanksgiving” capitalizes on a great amount of suspense and is best to watch in theaters or in a setting that gets you feeling like someone is about to pop out right next to you. The suspense is one reason as to why this movie is so appealing.

The next aspect is the story itself. The audience is left, like the characters in the film, trying to figure out who this killer is and it makes you feel like you are a part of the thrill of this film.

This movie has many twists and turns that make you connect with certain characters. It also makes it that much tougher to watch when these characters get killed in the events of the film. This movie is extremely violent and does a beautiful job of doing that through plenty of scenes that make you want to put your popcorn and soda down.

The cinematography and visual aesthetics of the film contribute significantly to its eerie atmosphere. The use of low light and shadows enhances the suspense, while the scenic backdrop of Plymouth serves as the unfolding horror.

This movie being holiday-themed makes it that much better because Thanksgiving is a holiday of giving thanks and not death. As the Thanksgiving killer roams the historic streets of Plymouth, the movie challenges audiences to reflect on the true meaning of the holiday while delivering a spine-tingling cinematic experience.