Friends Forever

Friends+still+warms+the+heart+of+millions+two+decades+after+the+show+first+premiered.+
photo courtesy of Cosmopolitan.com
“Friends” still warms the heart of millions two decades after the show first premiered.

When you think about classic television shows, Friends is usually one that comes to mind right away. Created by David Crane and Marta Kauffman, this NBC sitcom follows the lives of six friends who are all living in New York City. First airing in 1994 and running for 10 seasons, the show gained great popularity, averaging nearly 25 million viewers a week when it was airing live.  

Despite the show ending nearly 20 years ago, its legacy has stuck and allowed for new generations, as well as past generations who grew up watching it, to appreciate the show. A big reason as to why the show was successful is because of how relatable it is. The characters dealt with tough situations that unfortunately many of us can relate to such as breakups, losing jobs and more. As a result, viewers felt seen when watching this show and could find joy in that. 

One of my personal favorite things about Friends was the abundance of love and friendship in this show. It was important that the characters had such a close bond because it represented the importance of having great friends who are always there for you. Despite some of the bumps in the road that happened within the friend group, at the end of the day, they all still supported one another. 

Many shows from that era did not have quite the same impact on viewers as much as Friends did. One of the main reasons for this was because of the comedy aspects that were incorporated into the show. Having watched the show myself, I know how much I laughed despite having a difficult day, but the humor written into the show was enough to brighten my day. A big reason as to why this show was so funny was because of one character in particular, Chandler Bing. 

Bing was the sarcastic yet fun loving character who everyone loved. Even in sad episodes, he knew the right way to make light of the situation by cracking a joke or two.  The character was played by actor Matthew Perry, who recently passed away in October 2023. With the passing of Perry, it became clear that Friends left an impact on people worldwide. Since the news of his passing, an outpouring of condolences and remembrances has been seen regarding Perry himself and his iconic character. Perry’s ability to portray a character that has impacted so many around the world is a gift that will not be forgotten.