Entering the ‘real world’ after graduation

Being a senior is a very scary feeling for most people including myself who has no idea what lies ahead after graduation. Figuring out what the next step is, whether it be graduate school or finding a “big girl” job, can be stressful.  

However, the thing that I have realized throughout this process is that there are so many people who are willing to help you. Connecting with people who are already in the field that you are looking to go into is the best first step that you can take.  

I know that it is different for other majors but if you are a journalism major like me looking to get into sports, it is important to connect with people that can help you get to where you want to be. Do not be afraid to ask professors and people around campus if they know of anyone in the field that you can get in contact with to ask them to look over your resume or even give a few words of advice. 

After a check-in meeting with my coach on the softball team, she got me connected with someone she used to work with at St. John’s University who is involved in athletic communications. After a phone call with him, I felt much more content with my plan after graduation and felt more relaxed about the process.  

The biggest thing I took away from our talk is that the people you work with will make you want to show up to work every day.  

From his experiences, he explained that even if there was a job he didn’t necessarily love, he would go back just because of the people he worked with. Another concept that resonated with me is that you are never stuck where you are. There are so many different paths to take, especially in the communications field. You may think you want to do one specific thing until you get into the industry and discover you love something else more. The industry is constantly evolving, and we need to follow in its footsteps. 

Connections with someone can happen through other people you know or sometimes it just happens randomly. However, it’s important to know that these people are here to help you and get you to the next level, so don’t be afraid to reach out. You never know where these connections can lead you, it might even take you to your dream job one day.