54° New Rochelle, NY
The Student News Site of Iona University

The Ionian

The Ionian

The Ionian

‘Barbie’ strikes viewers with hard-hitting reality of what it is like to be a woman in society

This+past+summer%2C+one+of+the+most+highly+anticipated+films+in+%E2%80%9CBarbie%E2%80%9D+was+released+on+July+21+alongside+Oppenheimer.%E2%80%AF+
Photo from Variety.com
This past summer, one of the most highly anticipated films in “Barbie” was released on July 21 alongside Oppenheimer. 

This past summer, one of the most highly anticipated films in “Barbie” was released on July 21st alongside Oppenheimer. 

Considering that fact that there was a worldwide shortage of fluorescent fuchsia paint, one would assume that Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” would be great.Some audience members, however, were not satisfied with the results.  

Many people viewed the film as childish and immature, while others loved it and spent more money to watch it again because it resonated with them. Many felt that “Barbie” should not have been produced in the first place, but the worldwide box office revenue of $1.34 billion says otherwise.  

Barbie has been around for 64 years and there is a common misconception that Barbie is just a “plastic doll.” However, what people fail to realize is that “plastic doll” has inspired many young women to believe that they are capable of accomplishing their dreams such as becoming doctors, engineers, police officers and more. 

Additionally, this film has brought real-life exposure to societal issues regarding the perception of women due to Margot Robbie’s portrayal of Barbie. At the end of the film, she realizes that everything in the outside world isn’t as perfect as she had imagined in Barbie Land. America Ferrara’s performance as a Mattel employee in the film includes a prolonged monologue where she describes the real-life struggles women face. She states “It is literally impossible to be a woman. You are so beautiful, and so smart, and it kills me that you don’t think you’re good enough. Like, we have to always be extraordinary, but somehow, we’re always doing it wrong…” 

Ferrara’s character points out how women must be a certain way in society for them to be fully accepted and even then, it isn’t good enough. The way in which director Greta Gerwig emphasizes what it’s like to be a woman in modern times resonated with many people. This scene was a powerful message to all the women out there to let them know that they’re seen, valued and shouldn’t have to live up to the expectations of the world. 

I believe that many people who went to see ”Barbie” and came out hating were those who didn’t understand its message and they couldn’t resonate with Ferrara’s speech as well. Not only did this film have a strong message towards women today, but it was also balanced out with heartwarming moments, witty jokes, and a lot of personality. President Barbie, played by Issa Rae, touches on how we shouldn’t be comparing or complaining about people’s attributes, but to embrace who they are instead. 

Truthfully, this film was a step in the right direction as it made people more aware of the daily struggles of being a woman. Just as important though, this film also highlights that no one is perfect and that people need to be appreciated for who they are.