Iona men’s basketball concludes season

Photo courtesy of ionagaels.com

The Gaels won 20 games for the second consecutive season. 

Kaylin Flukey, Managing Editor

The Gaels ended the season on an 11-game win streak and an overall record of 24-7 with an in-conference record of 17-3. 

Iona travelled to Mount St. Mary’s University for the first time on Feb. 24 where they defeated the Mount 80-68. Walter Clayton Jr. led the Gaels with 28 points, while Daniss Jenkins posted 15 points. Osborn Shema added eight rebounds and put up 12 of his 14 points in the second half to secure the win for the Maroon & Gold. 

The Gaels hosted Siena College in one of the most important MAAC games of the year on Feb. 26. The sold-out stadium helped to electrify the Gaels as they defeated the Saints 93-60, maintaining the lead the entire game. Clayton Jr. and Jenkins led the Gaels offensively with 18 points apiece. Anton Brookshire drained 4-of-5 from the three-point line, posting 12 points. 

Iona carried this momentum into senior night at home against Marist College on March 2, defeating the Red Foxes 93-74. The Gaels honored their three senior athletes, James Carey, Quinn Slazinski and Parker Weiss. They also recognized their four senior managers, Stephen Boateng, Scott Galst, Christian Murphy and Javier Raudales. 

In the final minute of the match, senior manager Stephen Boateng played and dressed in his first-ever game, sinking two free throws in a picture-perfect ending to the last game in the Hynes Athletics Center for the 2023 season. 

The Gaels’ last game of the season was a nail-biter against Rider University on March 4. Both teams went back and forth the whole game, neither side able to take more than a two-possession lead. With help from Jenkins’ 21-point game, Iona was able to come out with the win defeating the Broncs 80-78. 

Four Gaels were named to an All-MAAC team for their standout performances throughout the season. Clayton Jr. and Nelly Junior Joseph earned First Team honors and Jenkins was named to the Second Team. Lastly, freshman Cruz Davis was named to the MAAC All-Rookie Team. 

Iona clinched a first-round bye in the opening day of the MAAC tournament. The Gaels will face the winner of No. 8 Mount St. Mary’s and No. 9 Canisius College on March 8 in the quarterfinal round at 7 p.m. The team looks to achieve their sixth MAAC Championship over the last eight years.