Iona women’s basketball 4-3 to start season

Photo Courtesy of ionagaels.com

Three players are currently averaging over ten points a game for the Gaels.   

Jordan Score, Staff Writer

The Iona women’s basketball team improved their record to 3-3 on the year with a home win on Nov. 30, taking down Hofstra University by a score of 62-46.  

The Gaels are now 2-1 playing at Hynes Athletic Center this season and are currently third in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC).   

The game against Hofstra University saw many key players help lead the Gaels to victory. Senior Juana Camilion led Iona in points with 18 as well as leading the team in steals, recording five. This game marked the 63rd time in Camilion’s career that she has reached double-figures and the 42nd time she has led the team in scoring. 

Senior Kate Mager put up 17 points, going 5-8 from beyond the arc. Her five triples were a season-best mark.  

Senior Ketsia Athias led the team in rebounds and blocks with nine and three respectively.  

Iona led 39:44 out of a total of 40 minutes throughout the game. The Gaels also recorded 12 steals as a team which matches a season high as a unit defensively.  

Before the win against Hofstra University, Iona was on a two-game road trip where they faced off against Sacred Heart University on Nov. 20 and then battled Bucknell University on Nov. 22.  

Iona came away with a win over Sacred Heart University by a score of 65-56. Athias, Camilion and Mager each recorded more than ten points during this game with 20, 16, and 12 respectively. Sophomore Judith Gomez and sophomore Thoranna Hodge-Carr led the team defensively with five steals each.  

Following this win, the Gaels lost to Bucknell University by a score of 52-55. Iona had five players score five or more during this game. Athias and Camilion led Iona on both ends of the court as they put up 15 and 11 points respectively while Athias recorded two blocks and Camilion recorded two steals. There were thirteen lead changes and seven ties during the loss. 

The Gaels are off to their best start to a season since 2016-2017 where they also started out 3-3. Iona opened the new season with an 87-62 victory over Wagner College on Nov. 10 where the team saw four players each score double digits.  

Following their season opener, Iona lost to Stony Brook University  71-73 on Nov. 14 and at home to Providence College  50-53 on Nov. 17.  

Iona will travel for their next two games, first to Brooklyn, New York to face off against Long Island university (LIU) on Dec. 5 and then they will travel to Jamaica, New York in a matchup against St. John’s University on Dec. 8.