Iona golf wins second straight MAAC Championship

Iona+has+won+six+MAAC+championships+in+program+history.+

Photo from ICGaels.com

Iona has won six MAAC championships in program history.

Ryan McFadden, Sports Editor

The Iona College golf team remains the top dogs in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, after winning its second straight championship on April 20 at the Magnolia Golf Course in Disney World.

The Gaels competed in a tight tournament, but were able to pull away on the final day to claim its sixth conference championship in school history.

Iona finished the tournament with a score of 887 (+23). Rider came in second place, recording an overall score of 894 (+30). Saint Peter’s finished third, while Siena and Canisius rounded out the top five.

Iona had four players place in the top 10 of the individual standings. Junior Oisin Devereux finished in second place with a score of 219 (+3). Devereux was the Gaels’ top performer on the last day, registering a score of 76 (+4). Devereux was tied for third in scoring average on the par three holes and second on the par five holes.

This was the second straight year where Iona had a player finish second on the individual leaderboard.

Sophomore Justin Burkhamer and senior Paolo Matti tied for fifth place with 222 (+6), while sophomore Kritsarin Oukosavanna came in seventh. Matti received All-Championship Team honors for the third time in his Iona career. Burkhamer, who placed in the top 10 in the individual leaderboard for the second consecutive season, recorded 11 birdies.

Head Coach Sean Burke was named MAAC Coach of the Year for the second straight season. Oukosavanna and junior Matthew Mirocco were named to the MAAC All-Academic Team.

The golf team is now the fourth Iona sports team to win multiple conference championships. The golf team has joined men’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country to reach that accomplishment.

Iona will compete in the NCAA Regionals, which will run from May 12 to May 15. Iona’s placement in the regional tournament was not revealed before press time.

Final Team Standings

1. Iona 887 (+23)
2. Rider 894 (+30)
3. Saint Peter’s 895 (+31)
4. Siena 904 (+40)
5. Canisius 909 (+45)
6. Fairfield 924 (+80)
7. Monmouth 924 (+80)
8. Manhattan 941 (+77)
9. Niagara 975 (+111)