Takeaways from Iona’s 90-77 win over Marist

Iona junior guard Asante Gist finished with 21 points in win over Marist on Jan. 18

Ryan McFadden, Sports Editor

The Iona College men’s basketball team earned its fourth victory in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference after beating Marist 90-77 on Friday evening.

The Gaels connected on all cylinders offensively, shooting 48 percent from the floor and converting 12 three-pointers. Junior point guard Asante Gist provided a spark off the bench, as he dropped 21 points on 6-9 shooting. He was one of six players to score in double figures.

Senior point guard Rickey McGill registered 16 points, five rebounds and seven assists. Junior guard E.J. Crawford had 14 points, seven rebounds and five assists. Junior transfer Jahnathan Maxwell had 13 points and made three shots from behind the arc.

The game was close in the first half, as Marist was down 40-39 heading into the break. Iona dominated the second half, scoring 50 points and limiting Marist to shoot 26 percent from deep after the Red Foxes made 10 three pointers in the first half.

Marist was led by Ryan Funk, who tallied 21 points and six rebounds off the bench. Guard Brian Parker had 13 points.

Here are some takeaways from the game:

• There was no shortage of offense especially in the first half. Both teams shot over 50 percent in the first half. Marist was having its way from deep, as the Red Foxes recorded 10 three-pointers in the first half.

• Iona stepped up on the defensive end in the second half, keeping  Marist shooting a low percentage from behind the arc. The Gaels were putting Marist in tight situations, which forced the Red Foxes to commit 14 turnovers. Iona had 17 points off Marist’s turnovers.

• Crawford continued to show elevation in his game compared to the past two seasons. As a freshman, Crawford was known as a spot up shooter, who took most of his shot attempts from deep. Crawford is now fighting for rebounds and attacking the rim.

• Iona showed its chemistry has gotten stronger since conference play started. The Gaels were moving the ball a lot better and everyone seems to be comfortable with one another on the court compared to their non-conference games.

Follow @IonianSports on Twitter