Women’s basketball has high hopes with strong team depth

Michael RitzStaff Writer

The basketball season is almost here. Maroon Madness on Oct. 22 officially commences the men’s and women’s basketball programs. Anthony Bozzella is entering his eighth year as the women’s basketball head coach.

Bozzella has brought the team to new heights coming off of last year, which saw the team make their third trip to the postseason WNIT.

On the sidelines, Bozzella will again be aided by Associate Head Coach Christi Abbate, who is entering her eighth year with Iona as well as her 13th season working with Coach Bozzella.  

Assistant Coach Ashlee Kelly enters her second year with the team and her primary goal is to improve the post players. Entering their first years on the staff, but no strangers to the system, are former Gael players Lauren Defalco and Thazina Cook.

Defalco will work primarily with the guards while Cook, who was the captain of last year’s WNIT team, is the Director of Basketball Operations. Another addition to the staff is Jen McNamee, a former player at Niagara, who will be the team’s Video Coordinator.

Each year, Coach Bozzella uses a tough non-conference schedule to prepare his squad for the MAAC season, and this year is no exception.

The Gaels begin the year in the preseason WNIT against Charlotte and will also face the likes of Marquette, Michigan State, Arizona and Northern Arizona., all on the road.

“Having the second most wins in our league over the last five years, combined with three second place finishes, is a direct correlation to the tough opponents we compete against in the non-league portion of our schedule,” Bozzella told ICGaels.com.

The main reason for optimism this year will be the senior leadership of returning players. Senior point guard Suzi Fregosi has been a mainstay for the Gaels since she was a freshman, and she is not done yet. Fregosi runs the offense and gives the Gaels high expectations this year along with three other seniors in Andja Ivkovic, Marissa Flagg, and Cat Lutz. These four seniors will work to push the underclassmen and set a great example for the rest of the team.

Another key is the team’s depth. At the guard position, they have five quality players in seniors Fregosi and Flagg, along with junior Jessica Scannell, sophomore Haley D’angelo, who begins her first season playing after red shirting her freshman year, and freshman newcomer Shonice Hawkins.

As for the shooting guard and wing positions, Bozzella has plenty to choose from. Sophomore Diana Hubbard started many of the games last year and will look to continue to impress. The Gaels also have lights out shooters in Lutz, junior Kristina Ford, and freshman Jackie Marshall.    

This season a key for the Gaels will be their post play. Ivkovic, who is also coming off of a knee injury sustained last year, will look to lead the posts as they enter the season.

Junior Milica Paligoric has made a great improvement the past two years and is ready to see some serious minutes. Just like Paligoric, sophomore Samantha Kopp has improved greatly and junior Sarah Schoof also makes the Gaels’ post play that much stronger as she continues to improve. Finally, the Gaels will also see freshman Sabrina Jeridore enjoy her first season as she has impressed the coaches during preseason.