Ayala celebrates Careers in Student Affairs Month

Many Iona students may not know that October is Careers in Student Affairs Month.   Student affairs offers students a variety of different programs that provide development in embracing student learning, helping students with academic and career decisions, mentoring students, and the development of leadership skills in their everyday lives. 

Student affairs makes a difference in college student’s lives preparing them for the “real” world in different dynamics that allows for an exciting environment.  The skills that are taught in student affairs lead most students to ultimately succeed in their aspirations.

Assistant Director of Student Development Sherlene Ayala plays a major role in Careers in Student Affairs month. She currently works in the Office of Student Development, and coordinates Diversity & Leadership initiatives with the assistance of students. Ayala says that she loves her job and working with students will always be her passion. 

“When I was in college I was involved on campus within clubs and organizations that ranged from cultural groups to media groups. I also founded a Latina-oriented sorority and being involved on campus offered me the opportunity to mentor other students and offer them leadership opportunities,” Ayala said.

“After receiving my BA in Journalism, my advisor asked me about pursuing a Masters Degree in Higher Education. She said I would be perfect to work with college students. After researching the role of administration within Student Affairs, I knew it was for me,” Ayala said.  

Ayala explains that in order to work in the field of Higher Education, one must attend graduate school. “I have a Masters degree in Student Affairs in College Counseling, which translates into being able to educate students and integrate student life and learning that contributes to their development. I am now researching schools that offer Doctorate programs in Higher Education & Administration,” Ayala said.

Ayala says that Careers in Student Affairs Month is extremely important.  “Many people who work in the field of Student Affairs got here because someone reached out to them. Therefore I posted up flyers across LaPenta and my office to get those students to stop and ask themselves the question, ‘Is Student Affairs for Me?’,” Ayala said.

“Since the posters went up, I’ve had two students share that they are interested to do my kind of work. It’s an incredible experience to know that I’ve inspired someone to do my job.” 

If a student has the desire to join the field of Higher Education, they are asked to speak to any members of Student Development.  Students can contact colleagues from the Division of Student Development or stop by the Office of Student Development as well.

“We love talking to students about our work,” Ayala said. Ayala also said that for those interested Rutgers University is hosting a mini-conference for students who want to pursue Higher Education in Student Affairs.  The conference is being held on Thursday, Oct. 21 and all are welcome for a fee of $10.