Iona raises awareness for Kony 2012

The name Joseph Kony has been plaguing the minds of Americans for the past month bringing awareness to the term “Invisible Children.” Kony is described as one of the world’s worst war criminals, and recently, a film and campaign by Invisible Children Inc. titled “Kony 2012” aims to make Joseph Kony famous by bringing about international justice with his arrest.

The film was released earlier this month, going viral. As of March 19, the video had over 83 million hits on YouTube. The film focuses on the efforts of Invisible Children Inc., a San Diego based volunteer campaign with 43 full-time employees who work for righteousness worldwide.

In the film, Invisible Children describes Kony using guerilla warfare on children in Uganda with his Lord’s Resistance Army. His reign has lasted for over 26 years. A Ugandan boy named Jacob is one of the children featured in the film whose brother was killed by the LRA. Some of the celebrities who have endorsed the campaign include Oprah, Rihanna, Taylor Swift and Bill Gates.

The Iona College Students For Peace organization will host a screening of the documentary on March 30.

“The ‘Roadies’ from Invisible Children will be here to show the movie ‘Kony 2012,'” said President of Students for Peace Sasha Dias. “They will be bringing a Ugandan Representative Akena Boniface. The message that we are hoping to get across to the students is that if we don’t do something nothing will change.”

As of last week, almost 80 students accepted the invitation to the event on Facebook titled “Invisible Children Screening.” Students for Peace are hoping that more people will get involved with the organization and take a stand in helping over 30,000 children that have been abducted and taken from their homes by Kony forcing them to become sex slaves.

“One of the points on the Students for Peace mission is to change apathy on the campus, and Invisible children is one of those organizations that really help get students out of their rooms and gets them passionate about something,” said Dias. “Even if it’s only for a little while, it still counts. I know that Invisible Children has been in some hot water lately, but that doesn’t mean that their message has changed, and neither has ours.”

The screening will be held at 6 p.m. in Romita Auditorium and admission is free. For those that want to help stop Kony’s crusade, you can sign up at www.kony2012.com.

For more information on Students for Peace, You can “like” their Facebook page and follow them on Twitter for updates @Gaels4Peace.