Why Iona students should get involved

Anna Maffucci Editor-in-Chief

If you have ever had a tour of Iona’s campus or been to orientation (all of us) you know what most students say when it comes to advice – get involved.

It sounds cliché after a while. All of these people are telling you one thing that worked like a magical elixir to enhance their college experience. Does it really work that way, though? This is my story.

Back in the stone ages of 2014, I entered Iona as a commuter who had a few friends. I did not know what, or who, I wanted to be. All I knew was that I enjoyed writing for the newspaper in my high school and that it was something I wanted to continue in college.

The Involvement Fair at Iona was, and honestly still is, a mecca for freshman to “get involved.” In fact, I signed up for The Ionian there and before I knew it, I was set to write my first story.

I will never forget the feeling of writing this first story at multiple 9 a.m. sessions in LaPenta’s infamous computer labs. It was the first time I had the chance to fully develop my writing skills in a newspaper, as the previous high school publications I had worked on did not really take off.

The first story I wrote for The Ionian was one that I had brought up to the Arts and Entertainment editor at the time. YouTuber Sam Pepper was under fire at the time for a prank that was pretty much sexual assault. I worked really hard on getting that article in – I got quotes from friends I had only known for a month and did a ton of research. Seeing it in print made me so happy – and that is what kept me going.

I wrote for almost every issue that year, yet I did not go to any meetings. Why? I am honestly not sure. I had a strict schedule when it came to that year – commute, go to class, say hi to friends and then go home. It wasn’t until sophomore year when I stopped ghosting the e-board and went to meetings.

From that point on, time passed by fast. Before I knew it, I was asked to be an Assistant Features Editor and then Associate Editor, which led to my position today as Editor-in-Chief.

Why am I telling you my story? I’m not looking for pity and I am sure you do not want to hear about my life story (if you do, my Instagram has lots of pictures of my dog). I am writing this because I want to show you that getting involved was the best thing that happened to me regarding school.

As a senior, I still do not know what I want to do when I graduate. I still commute from the same town. The difference is that I took advantage of what campus clubs had to offer. I sit here as the president of my club with many dear friends. I have an amazing e-board that I believe in. I have an amazing set of people who work on our paper week after week.

Although I am an advertising major, this is not an ad for joining The Ionian. I just want to tell you that this is your year. It does not matter what grade you are or where you live. You have the chance to make a difference at Iona. You have the chance to pursue something you love. You have the chance to start something new.

Where do you begin? Start where your passions lie. There are many clubs and things on campus that you can be a part of. For example, we are always looking for new members and everyone is welcome at our bi-weekly meetings. Yes, I said this was not an advertisement, but I can plug my own club, right?

In all seriousness, enjoy this year. I challenge you to try something regarding student life on campus. When you look back on your college years, I guarantee you will be proud of yourself for doing this. I know I will be.

To contact the Ionian’s Anna Maffucci, email her at [email protected].