C.J. Seaforth ‘isn’t afraid of anyone’

Ryan McFadden, Sports Editor

Iona College freshman C.J. Seaforth went toe-to-toe with his fellow men’s basketball teammates at the annual Maroon and Gold scrimmage during homecoming weekend. Seaforth was moving up and down the floor at a fast pace, pulling up from deep or attacking the rim while running up the score sheet.

Even though it was a scrimmage, and the players were not giving the effort they would in an actual game, Seaforth was able to display the quickness and confidence he will bring to Iona this season and beyond.

“C.J. has a lot to offer. He plays at a very good pace,” head coach Tim Cluess said. “He has a lot of confidence and isn’t afraid of going against anyone.”

Seaforth is one of four players-the other three being Schadrac Casimir, E.J. Crawford and Zach Lewis- that is from Connecticut. Seaforth grew up in Hamden and played basketball for Hamden High School where he recorded impressive numbers.

Seaforth averaged 22 points per game during his junior season. He topped that by averaging 21.5 points, 7.2 rebounds, 6.1 assists and four steals per game as a senior.

Seaforth knows he can be an offensive presence for the Gaels. He wants to expand his game and become more effective on the defensive end as well.

“I had a great senior year,” Seaforth said. “I brought everything here, but I have to lockdown on defense. Coach [Cluess] wants me to play more defense and make me more vocal on the court.”

Seaforth developed a strong relationship with Cluess and assistant coach Jared Grasso as they attended his high school games and stayed in contact with him.

“I really fell in love with coach Cluess and Grasso,” Seaforth said. “They came to my games and talked to me. They told me what I did wrong and did well.”

Seaforth’s relationship with the Iona coaching staff came in handy during the recruiting process as he picked the Gaels over Robert Morris, Fairfield and Quinnipiac.

“I like how coach Cluess runs a fast tempo game,” Seaforth said. “I like to run the court, shoot threes and make good passes.”

Adjusting from high school to college basketball has been a challenging process for Seaforth, who learned quickly that nothing comes easy.

“Practice is tough. Coaches are on me 24/7,” Seaforth said. “You have to work hard everyday at practice to get minutes.”

Going into his first collegiate season, Seaforth is mainly focusing on being a team player and helping Iona reach the NCAA Tournament, which is a longtime dream of his.

“I want to do everything the coaches want me to do for the team,” Seaforth said. “Try to go to the NCAA Tournament. That’s a dream come true.”

Follow @IonianSports on Twitter and Instagram