Student voices necessary for change

Erin Kutch SGA President

SGA President senior Erin Kutch discusses how students can make an impact on campus.

The growing concern of smoking on campus. Dining options on and off campus. The search for a new provost. How much funding clubs get for their events. The rate at which tuition increases.

All of these topics are issues that the Student Government Association is involved in. We are lucky to go to a college where the student voice is a part of these and many other important conversations, but for some reason, many students choose to not be a part of the conversation.

Maybe they don’t know it’s happening, or maybe they just don’t care? With the amount of time and money you have dedicated to being a student at Iona College, it is time to take ownership of your college experience.

While I would encourage everyone to attend an SGA meeting – every Thursday at 3:30pm in the McGrath Room of the LaPenta Student Union – at some point, I have realized that most students either can’t or won’t come.

However, I encourage you to become informed on how some decisions are made at Iona. Once a month a group called College Council comes together to meet.

“The College Council shall serve as the plenary governance body representing the collective interests of the Iona College community,” according to the council’s constitution on Iona’s website.

The College Council is made up of representatives, including two students, who have the opportunity to sit at the table and vote. The opportunity to have students sit on College Council and (MOST) College Council Committees is an extreme privilege and responsibility that the students sitting on the committees don’t take lightly. These committee meetings give students the opportunity to be heard and work with such committed faculty, staff and administrators.

SGA is always looking for passionate students to represent the student body on campus committees. If you have any interest in becoming more involved or have any questions, concerns and ideas for ways to improve Iona College you can send them to [email protected].

While I can’t promise we’ll be able to address every issue or fix every problem, we’ll do everything we can to improve your Iona College experience. Students should feel empowered to take ownership of their school.

I encourage you ALL to be informed on what is happening and what decisions are being made.

We’re here for you so let us know what you need to make every day a great day to be a Gael.

Erin Kutch ’18

SGA President