Cross country claims MAAC title, Santos name Coach of the Year

The men’s cross country team has won 27 straight MAAC Championships.

Ryan McFadden, Sports Editor

The Iona College men’s and women’s cross country team traveled to Holmdel Park, New Jersey, where they finished first in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Championship on Oct. 28.

The victory was the 27th straight time the men’s team were named conference champions. It’s also the longest active streak in NCAA Division I. The Gaels had five runners place in the top five of the men’s 8k run.

Senior Andrew Tario came in first place with a time of 25:25.46. Seniors Johannes Motschmann finished second, Gilbert Kirui came in third, Chartt Miller finished fourth while junior Liam Dee rounded out the top five.

Freshman Ehab El-Sandali was named the Most Outstanding Rookie of the Meet after finishing in eighth place.

Manhattan came in second place with 97 points and Siena placed third with 109 points. Iona tallied 15 points.

This is the second straight and the 12th time in 13 years that the women’s team were MAAC champions.

The Gaels saw freshmen Egle Morenaite and Sophie Murphy finish in first and second place. Morenaite recorded a time of 21:20.05, while being named Most Outstanding Runner and Rookie of the Meet.

Iona finished with 38 points. Marist, who placed second, tallied 71 points and Quinnipiac came in third place with 78 points.

Head coach Ricardo Santos was named the MAAC Coach of the Year after Iona’s impressive performance in the conference championship. It’s the ninth time Santos received that honor.

Iona will now set its sights towards the NCAA Northeast Regional Championship, which will take place in Buffalo, New York on Nov. 10.

Follow @IonianSports on Twitter and Instagram.