Iona vs. Syracuse: Preview, live stream, players to watch

Iona guard Rickey McGill tallied eight points and six assists in the season opener against Albany.

Ryan McFadden, Sports Editor

The Iona College men’s basketball team will travel to the Carrier Dome to take on Syracuse in one of the biggest non-conference game of the season on Tuesday evening.

Where: Syracuse University

Tip-off: 7 p.m.

Live Stream: ESPN3/ACC Network Extra

Gaels will try to pull off an upset

Iona will head into its matchup with Syracuse after dropping the first game of the season to the University of Albany 69-67.

Senior guard Deyshonee Much scored 15 points and shot 1-8 from the three point line. Sophomore Rickey McGill tallied eight points and six assists. The Gaels shot a collective 44 percent from the floor and 18 percent from behind the arc. Albany dominated Iona on the glass, outrebounding the Gaels 47-27.

Syracuse, who was picked 10th in the ACC Preseason media poll, opened the season with a 77-45 win over Cornell on Nov. 10. Freshman forward Oshae Brissett registered a double-double, 11 points and 10 rebounds in his collegiate debut.

This will be the fifth time Iona and Syracuse faced off against each other. The Orange is controlling the all-time series with a 4-0 record. Syracuse won the last meeting with the Gaels in 2011 by six points. Iona has a 9-25 all-time against teams from the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Syracuse is currently a 10 point favorite, according to VegasInsider.com

Players to watch:

TK Edogi

Iona’s 6-foot-8 forward TK Edogi was impressive in his debut with the Gaels. The graduate transfer tallied 17 points, which was a career high, and nine rebounds. Edogi had a couple of alley-oop plays with McGill.

With Edogi being the tallest player on Iona, and Syracuse having four players at least 6-foot-8, he will need to make his presence felt in the paint. Syracuse rebounded the ball well on both ends of the court in its victory over Cornell. The Orange tallied 54 rebounds-21 offensive rebounds-against the Big Red.

Tyus Battle

6-foot-6 sophomore Tyus Battle is Syracuse’s top returning scorer as he averaged 11 points per game last season. Battle scored 18 points on 6-14 shooting and grabbed four rebounds against Cornell.

Battle came out of high school as the top player in New Jersey, according to 247sports. He started in 25 of Syracuse’s 34 games during his freshman season. Battle made 60 three-pointers, which is fourth best freshman total in program history. He is a player who is aggressive on defense and has the capability of knocking down the mid-range or wide open three-pointer.

Follow @IonianSports on Twitter and Instagram.