Bryant University names Iona’s Jared Grasso as new men’s basketball head coach

Jared Grasso spent six seasons as associate head coach at Iona College.

Ryan McFadden, Sports Editor

Note: This article has been updated as it is a developing story. The confirmed announcement was added along with other information and quotes from Bryant University’s press release.

Iona College men’s basketball associate head coach Jared Grasso was officially named the new head coach at Bryant University on Monday.

“My family and I could not be more honored and humbled for this opportunity to join the Bryant University community,” Grasso said in a release from BryantBulldogs.com, the school’s athletic site. “President [Ronald] Machtley and Bill Smith are tremendous leaders and our visions for this program clicked immediately. I can’t wait to get to work with these student-athletes and help build a championship program. The future of Bulldog men’s basketball is very bright.”

Grasso will replace former Bryant men’s basketball head coach Tim O’Shea, who resigned after the regular season where the Bulldogs went 3-28.

Grasso spent six seasons as associate head coach at Iona. He helped head coach Tim Cluess lead the Gaels to five NCAA Tournament appearances, five Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference titles and eight 20-win seasons.

“Jared’s resume and contagious passion for basketball elevated him to the top of the list,” Bryant’s Director of Athletics Bill Smith said in the same release. “We wanted a coach with a proven track record of cutting down nets and playing in March Madness and Jared and Iona have won their tournament and gone dancing in March five out of the last eight years.”

Grasso also served as Iona’s recruiting coordinator and helped bring in players such as A.J. English David Laury and junior Schadrac Casimir.

“[Grasso] proven to be a high-level recruiter and has enjoyed great success at every place he’s coached,” Smith said in the release. “I feel that Jared will give our program an energy boost and I’m so excited to have him on our sideline.”

Grasso will be Bryant’s eighth head coach in program history, according to the release.

Follow @IonianSports on Twitter and Instagram