Gaels’ head coach Tim Cluess signs three-year contract extension

Ryan McFadden, Sports Editor

Iona College announced Thursday on ICGaels.com that men’s basketball head coach Tim Cluess has signed a three-year contract extension, which will last through the 2024-25 season.

“The support the Iona College community, alumni and all of Gael Nation shows our program year in and year out makes Iona a special place for the coaching staff, myself and my family,” Cluess said in the release. “I look forward to adding to the legacy and further growth of Iona basketball.”

Cluess is coming off his eighth 20-win season where the Gaels won their third straight Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference title and made their fifth NCAA Tournament appearance in the last seven years.

Iona has won 182 games since Cluess took over as head coach in 2010, according to the release. Cluess has four conference titles. He is tied with former La Salle head coach Speedy Morris for most MAAC Championship wins by a coach in league history.

“We are very proud of the unprecedented success – both academically and athletically – Coach Cluess has had with our men’s basketball program,” Iona President Joseph E Nyre said in the same release. “Three straight MAAC Championships and five NCAA tournament appearances in the last seven years is a truly remarkable accomplishment and we continue to be thrilled about the future of our basketball Gaels.”

Iona has the potential to win four straight conference championship next season as juniors Rickey McGill and Schadrac Casimir, sophomore E.J. Crawford and junior Roland Griffin are set to return.

Follow @IonianSports on Twitter and Instagram