Sarah Brady resigns as women’s soccer head coach

Sarah Brady had a 5-28-5 record through her first two seasons at Iona.

Ryan McFadden, Sports Editor

This story was updated on Oct. 3

Sarah Brady has resigned as the head coach of the Iona College women’s soccer team, according to the Iona Athletics department.

“We accepted former women’s soccer head coach Sarah Brady’s resignation for personal reasons,” Athletic Director Matt Glovaski said via email.

The Athletics department updated the website but did not make an announcement or put out a press release about Brady’s resignation.

Brady was in the middle of her third season with Iona when she left the program. Brady, who was hired in December of 2015, posted a 5-28-5 record. Last season, she guided Iona to a win over Fairfield in the opening round of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Championship tournament. It was the Gaels’ first postseason win since the turn of the century.

Brady’s resignation caught players by surprise, as they didn’t expect to be without their head coach in the middle of the season.

“It was a big shock,” senior forward Corinne Burns said. “Especially in my senior year, I didn’t expect to not have a coach. It honestly shocked the team and the MAAC. We got a lot of texts from friends and coaches, giving us the best of luck.”

John Stalzer will serve as the interim head coach. Stalzer was an assistant under Brady for the last three seasons.

“John Stalzer is currently serving as our interim head coach for the remainder of the season,” Glovaski said. “Following the season we look forward to conducting a national search for our next permanent head coach.”

Stalzer spent years coaching soccer on the high school level, according to ICGaels.com. He was an assistant coach at St. Anthony’s High School and St. John the Baptist Diocesan High School. During his tenure, St. Anthony ranked in the top 20 nationally and placed as high as No. 2 in the country. St. John the Baptist supported a 54-22-9 record when Stalzer was on the coaching staff. Stalzer also spent time on the collegiate level with Polytechnic University and SUNY Maritime College.

When asked about Brady’s recent resignation, Stalzer declined to comment.

Until the permanent head coach position is filled, the players will continue to stick together through the coaching change, according to Burns.

“We are all coaching each other, to be honest,” Burns said. “We are all helping each other and convened with each other.”

Junior defender Treloara Harrisson thinks the team has done a good job with adjusting to the unexpected coaching change.

“Our assistant coaches have come through and our captains are leading the team,” Harrisson said. “We got our first tie this season, which really helps us. Hopefully we move on and get a few wins down the road.”